1941 Chevy 2-door saved from the crusher! - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The best frame for your car is a '41 chevy.

Frame swaps look easy when someone else does one. You will need a lot of fabricating equipment such as torches, welder, plasma, saws, grinders, etc.... a pretty big list. Unless you have the right equipment, AND the knowledge to accomplish the swap, you are in for a tough deal. You'll have to fabricate body mounts, cut the floor pan in several places and patch those spots. You will have to get a non-stock fuel tank to work and may have to relocate the fuel filler... it is not easy to do.

It should not be hard to find another Chevy "top hat" frame for little $$$. You can get a bolt-on IFS from Chassis Engineering. The rear springs will work fine... just find an appropriate rear axle.

I'd stay with a stock Chevy frame....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 05:09 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo56 View Post
The best frame for your car is a '41 chevy.

Frame swaps look easy when someone else does one. You will need a lot of fabricating equipment such as torches, welder, plasma, saws, grinders, etc.... a pretty big list. Unless you have the right equipment, AND the knowledge to accomplish the swap, you are in for a tough deal. You'll have to fabricate body mounts, cut the floor pan in several places and patch those spots. You will have to get a non-stock fuel tank to work and may have to relocate the fuel filler... it is not easy to do.

It should not be hard to find another Chevy "top hat" frame for little $$$. You can get a bolt-on IFS from Chassis Engineering. The rear springs will work fine... just find an appropriate rear axle.

I'd stay with a stock Chevy frame....
Yes, all that equipment makes it easier, but it can and is done with much less. I've done them with just a sawzall, portaband, and a MIG welder, and they can easily be done without the portaband, but it makes fabricating easier for me.
Didn't have any experience the first time either, but tking my time and looking everything over multiple times, plus test fitting, made it come out great.
I did my own because I wanted the experience, and I wanted the savings of doing it myself. Anyone can write a check to have somebody else do it, but doing it yourself is way more fun!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Washington's system seems to bring up all sorts of flaws in my mind. If you built a car using that system I would have a title for the body and frame, and then when the frame was removed and a donor frame used, I'd have to have a 2nd title for that frame.
At this point I guess the state would determine which title was used to make the new title. But if frame and body were separated, then both used on other projects, which one would get the title?
That's some crazy stuff there!
It can be very frustrating it seems at times, but I do understand the underlaying reason for it. But it is just the frames that carry the title, surprisingly not the body shell.

Hope you have a great 4th!
Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

I guess I'd disagree about frames carrying the title not the body....

Your Chevy has, or had, a serial number on the body (not to be confused with the data plate on the firewall). That # is what was used to get the original title for the car IN MOST STATES. Some, like Wisconsin, used the engine # which is different in most cars of that era.

True there is the "secret" serial # located in a mysterious spot somewhere on the frame... but I've been asked by my state patrol to help them find those #'s a few times when there was a rebuilt vehicle title inspection issue... and we have come up with nothing.

Now Henry Ford stamped all of his frames starting in the teens... but GM did not AFAIK.

VIN numbers did not appear on cars until 1969. The vin # id's the car and it's major components something that did not happen with a simple serial number.

Being a novice, I'd find stock frame and go from there...
Old 07-04-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I guess I'd disagree about frames carrying the title not the body....

Your Chevy has, or had, a serial number on the body (not to be confused with the data plate on the firewall). That # is what was used to get the original title for the car IN MOST STATES. Some, like Wisconsin, used the engine # which is different in most cars of that era.

True there is the "secret" serial # located in a mysterious spot somewhere on the frame... but I've been asked by my state patrol to help them find those #'s a few times when there was a rebuilt vehicle title inspection issue... and we have come up with nothing.

Now Henry Ford stamped all of his frames starting in the teens... but GM did not AFAIK.

VIN numbers did not appear on cars until 1969. The vin # id's the car and it's major components something that did not happen with a simple serial number.

Well, that was straight from the trooper's mouth, the frame is what carries the title here, so that is what I am going by. Still looking for a stock frame too, but not with any kind of luck.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Often when you MUST find something you can't, just go onto something else on the car and keep searching without so much fever and it falls in your lap.

Brian
Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 AM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Often when you MUST find something you can't, just go onto something else on the car and keep searching without so much fever and it falls in your lap.

Brian

I find this to be the case. A stock frame will present itself eventually. Get working on that body in the meantime and when you get your hands on the frame, you'll be that much closer to completion.

Another thing that happens when you "must" have a car part immediately is you'll spend up to 5 times the going rate to get it.

Patience will get you a chassis. The parts always come.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
It's not like you have nothing to do when building a car if you can't find a part! LOL

Brian
Old 07-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

Found these two 40's ten miles from my house... they are crawling out of the woodwork...

there HAVE to be dozens of these laying around in old junkyards... especially in ID and Montana... you gotta make some contacts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0705121407.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	66582   Click image for larger version

Name:	0705121406.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	66583  
Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktail Sniper View Post
Well, that was straight from the trooper's mouth, the frame is what carries the title here, so that is what I am going by. Still looking for a stock frame too, but not with any kind of luck.
When you find a frame for that Chevy you won't find a serial # on it...then what? I'd look up the WA motor vehicle codes and find out for sure... I believe he's wrong... at least when it comes to older vehicles.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

Here's the answer to your dilemma...

WAC 308-56A-455: Assembled and homemade vehicles.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:45 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Interesting. My Austin came with a Washington title when I got it, and the only number that Oregon DMV could find that matched the Wa. VIN was the engine number. The firewall tag and stamped numbers were both different than the engine VIN on the title.
Wasn't an issue with Oregon, as they just wanted something somewhere that matched the Wa. title to re-issue an Or. assigned VIN.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
Interesting. My Austin came with a Washington title when I got it, and the only number that Oregon DMV could find that matched the Wa. VIN was the engine number. The firewall tag and stamped numbers were both different than the engine VIN on the title.
Wasn't an issue with Oregon, as they just wanted something somewhere that matched the Wa. title to re-issue an Or. assigned VIN.
I know it can be extremely frustrating at times. If I remember right, some vehicles were registered off the engine number, and if the engine was ever changed, it required an inspection and new reqistration....ugh!!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
When you find a frame for that Chevy you won't find a serial # on it...then what? I'd look up the WA motor vehicle codes and find out for sure... I believe he's wrong... at least when it comes to older vehicles.
True, especially on those older ones. But I have located a 1955 Chevy frame, most measurements are close enough to use it as a start, then graft a newer front clip on it. I just need to get there and pick it up...about 75 miles away, but free is a very good price.

And, yes, while it is just a bare, but roller frame with no body or firewall, it does have the VIN stamped into the frame rail, as do a lot of cars & trucks. So I can obtain the proper paperwork from that and get a registration with no hassles.

I appreciate everyone's comments, tips, thoughts and sugguestions, now...on to the next step in this little adventure!!!!

Last edited by Blacktail Sniper; 07-07-2012 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-11-2012, 10:37 AM
just a gearhead in paradise..

Last journal entry: last ones for now.
Last photo:

Quote:

i have to disagree with this. my 63 nova i know exactly where the VIN is stamped into the body(being that it's a unibody with no frame). and it does match the vin tag on the firewall as well as in the door jamb.

as for the rear steering nova's you want the first gen 62-67 setup(but it's not very great with geometry) personally i'd recommend MII and a rack.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.