1941 chevy frame help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2004, 08:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1941 chevy frame help

I am thinking of doing a frame swap with my 1941 Chevy Coupe.
I know I could use a Mustang sub. But don't want to pay the money. Any ideas what frames may work for this swap, I was thinking maybee an s10 but dont know. 41 Coup is 116 in. wheelbase.
Thanks
Pat

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2004, 09:10 PM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

I know this is always thought of,about everyone here will say do the mustang 2. Frame swaps can get into alot of work,body mounts,the curve of the frame,will you have to shorten or lenghtn the donor frame,trac width of donor frame,front sheet metal having to make that fit,front or rear steer to consider will that fit.By all means look at all your options first.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:34 PM

frame

Do you know of any good inexpensive sub frames?
Old 07-31-2004, 10:59 PM

Last photo:

My thoughts

I have a 41 Buick and was thinking of the frame swap idea. The cheapest option I found was a cadillac swap. It had the closest dimensions and you can pick up the frame 200-300. I was talked into a camaro subframe then the person doing the work flaked on me and I ended up calling Streetrod engineering in Arizona, Buick is not your run of the mill car, but they took the dimensions from my drawings and hooked me up with a completely new front end.
I even bought one of there universal rear kits and they made additional mounts for me at my request. But to say the least I am actually going to use the original rear setup, slightly modified for a 10" rear something I was not optioning before. My $400+ universal kit is now sitting wasted on the floor, but the original, as you know resembles a 4 link suspension on steroids. and it is a lot cheaper. $0 vs 400 MMmmm.... Ok the front end cost me a bit, but it was worth it, all the holes match and I do not have to worry about fabricating anything extra since it was built for the car.
Just a note on the rear end, I plan on removing the stock springs and putting in late 70s monte carlo springs which will give me ~3in drop overall.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.