1942 chevy driveline - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 05:12 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1942 chevy driveline

Is there any way to use the orginal 3 speed trans.and change to an open drive shaft .I want to change the rear end to a 1964 unit?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2009, 08:28 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I don't think there is an adaptor for the Chevy's..... could use the 3spd from a '55-'57 Chevy 6cyl car, work and retain the original shifter on the column
Old 05-03-2009, 01:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I took a look at the tranny from my '48. It doesn't look like the forward torque tube retainer on the transmission (the 'keeper' for the torque tube at the rear transmission interface) is part of the lubrication for the driveshaft forward u-joint... so you should be good there, as long as you can locate a u-joint with appropriately sized cross.

I can see two issues with changing your factory '42 rear with a '64. First, the leaf springs are not interchangable due to the factory '42 torque tube configuration. The axle on the '42 is not bolted to the leaf spring pack as with 'conventional' axle installations; the axle is attached to a bracket that is in turn attached to the leaf spring pack. This allows the axle to have relative motion to the leaf spring pack, 'hinging' about that point due to the torque tube style design. So you'll need replacement leaf springs.

Second, you'll need a replacement drive shaft with fixed yokes at both ends and a slip joint in the tube itself. This should not be a problem, as many Jeep rear driveshafts have been converted with a slip yoke eliminator that requires the exact same style of spline in the driveshaft between the u-joints.

There's nothing wrong with the factory '42 design that I can see from an engineering standpoint, so why are you wanting to change to a '64 axle?
Old 05-03-2009, 04:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

probably gearing... '42's had 4.11's

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.