1946/47/48 Plymouths - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 05:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
If you want to go "classic custom"... how about a tube grill, but peaked in the middle to match the body... and some tunneled headlights?

If you try to make it look like another model, it may come off as a cheap imitation, so I would celebrate the "look" of the Plymouth... but customized.

For artwork... how about a road runner... but much older. Maybe with a beard and cane?
We must think alike ,that's exactly what I'm doing 3/8 tube grill but split into two sections tunnels at the top of the fenders I also got rid of the rounded nose of the hood and sharpend it up like a 39 zepher...Now theres a car I'd love to have. Something I like doing is making major changes that are subtle like the rockers I updated them full length like a modern unibody car instead of the tiny rockers that are only under the doors...since there wasn't ant bottom to either 1/4 panel it was easy come up with the idea...and nobody would ever know to look at it unless they owned one and even then chances are they wont ...One of the reasons I picked out the old style VW lights was they are cool looking and as a kid I always thought they'd look good in a hotrod...it wasn't until after I bought them that I realized just how advantageous they are to use ....ez to install, cheap 50.00 ea, There ez to get and I can easily drop in the L.E.D.lights if I want too later on..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7514.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	710.0 KB
ID:	114841   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7399.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	552.3 KB
ID:	114849   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5705 (Small).jpg
Views:	20
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	114857   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7438.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	901.5 KB
ID:	114865  

Advertisement

Last edited by deadbodyman; 01-22-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 06:11 AM

The best part about the grill is I used copper tubing that is used to connect kitchen faucet when the pipes are exposed..Its very ez to work with and fairly cheap...and again ez to get...you just make a jig out of wood and sandwich the tube between the two piecesand you get a perfect ,identical bend each and every time...so making the jig is the hardest part and that's not hard .....to hold the tube I used 3/8" anchor bolts ,moly bolts? whatever they're called but when I put a screw in it the end tightens up inside thetube making a tight fit and holding everything together...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_7512.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	114873   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7513.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	114881   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7517.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	733.7 KB
ID:	114889   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7514.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	710.0 KB
ID:	114897  
Old 01-22-2014, 07:09 PM

Last journal entry: 41' finally has paint on it
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

That's an ingenious idea to bend the tubing that way. Simple to build and it's gon'a have the same shape at every tube. I was thinking about building a two piece grill much like you are doing with a sheetmetal divider in the middle. I bought some 40 olds side grills to use for the sides, but they have way too sharp of a bend in them to match the radius in the front of the Plymouth fenders and they are pot metal so it would be hard to take any of it out without destroying them/ They will probably go to the next swap meet.
I'm thinking of using 3/16" stainless rod now and making a one piece grill to match the peak in the center of the opening. It would have 1 verticle bar in the middle and several horizontal bars on each side.
We do think alike because I was looking at VW pics last night trying to picture in my mind what I could do with the lights and didn't realize that's what you had already done. lol.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:18 AM

its not really that cleaver ...if you want to make identical pieces you need a jig....I do a lot of woodworking and making repetitive ,identical pieces like chair legs ,drawers ,etc. is something I have to do all the time so I'm used to making jigs......Look at the side bars that hold the tubes.....you see how all the holes are exactly the same distance apart? That was also done with a jig and drilled on the drill press ...There's no measuring involved at all...so its actually very ez, if you want I can show you how that was done too and how I made the jig to do them its not hard at all....
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
John long (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 06:04 PM

Last photo:

Sure, I would like to see how you did it. I do fab work every day for a living, but have never done much wood work. I make jigs at work a lot of times, but is is always metal work.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 AM
48 Plymouth Club Coupe

Last photo:

If your frame / suspension is there and in rebuildable condition I would encourage you to think again about doing the subframe. The car already has independent front suspension which was light years ahead of the competition at the time. Parts for the rebuild are readily available.

I am on my second 48 Plymouth coupe, the first was professionally subframed with a GM unit. I had driven the car for over a year with the stock suspension and saw no real benefit to the subframe other than the update of the braking system. Ride was not really improved, especially enough to justify the work / expense of doing the subframe. My current 48 is running a rebuilt stock front suspension with the addition of a Rusty Hope disc brake kit. The car was my daily driver for about 4 years in and around Dallas traffic with no issues what so ever. I have made multiple 800+ mile round trips to the HAMB drags in the car and it rides / drives every bit as good as the subframed car.

On top of that, the rebuild and brake conversion was done in a weekend with hand tools, so the car was not off the road. A subframe requires precise measurement and is a lot of work. Once it is installed, you will still be rebuilding the suspension and then have to fab mounting points for sheet metal, bumpers etc.

There are also Rack and Pinion kits on the market if you want to go that direction to free up some space for a V8 or V6. If not just shift the engine to the passenger side about 1.5 inches and you should have the room you need. Mother Mopar did exactly that for years with V8s in the smaller engine bays.

It is your car and your wallet, so the choice is yours. I would just urge you to think through all your choices before firing up the torch.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:36 AM
tired and retired

Last journal entry: mock up on chassis.
Last photo:

doors

l am building a street legal vintage modified out of a 48 4 door mopar and need the length of the stock doors to get a idea of the mods l need to make, if you could help me with this it be greatly appreciated.

thank you, Skull

Later
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02328.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	887.7 KB
ID:	155538   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02314.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	896.9 KB
ID:	155546   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02284.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	859.4 KB
ID:	155554  
Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 PM

I think you'd be better off just mounting the doors fron a 2 dr and moving the pillar back and modify from there,but its going to be a lot of work I believe I have two doors you can have ...but i'll certainly get those measurements to you 2 nite.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:02 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skull View Post
l am building a street legal vintage modified out of a 48 4 door mopar and need the length of the stock doors to get a idea of the mods l need to make, if you could help me with this it be greatly appreciated.

thank you, Skull

Later
I just went out to the shop and measured my business coupe doors. The inside of the door at the top, just below the garnish molding is 40 1/4". The bottom inside just above the bottom hinge is 41 1/4". The outside 'just below the glass where the radius in the door starts is 42 1/4". The very bottom of the door right above the rocker panel is 41". Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:02 PM

Cool,I forgot all about measuring mine......
Old 06-18-2014, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

No problem. Have you done any work to your coupe lately?
I decided to go ahead and use the Blazer chassis for mine. I stretched the frame with 2 3/8" x 5" tubing and got the body mounted to it. I've got the 4.3 and tranny setting in it now, but planning on moving it back closer to the firewall.
I've been working a lot of hours at work all this year and haven't had much time to work on it. One of these days I will post some pictures of the chassis.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:46 PM

Last photo:

Please find the original grill stuff and put it back to stock. Then lower it with a Mustang II x member - see Fatman Fabrications - Check out Possies for replacement lowering springs for the rear and put a cool v8 in it will look and drive great!
Old 06-19-2014, 12:15 AM
tired and retired

Last photo:

Thank you

great, thanks a bunch

mine are going to be 55 inches at the body line and at the bottom hinge 56 inches.

so my opening won't aceept a stock door, this is what l need to know.

l can fab the front and rear doors into one.

thank you all for helping.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:41 AM

anything is possible ,its only metal ,and your only limitations are your imagination...for instance when I look at it I see a door and a half ,I always wanted to do that to a 4dr by using a coupe door and some of the rear door.
No unfortunately I stopped working on mine for a while but as soon as I finish up my camaro project it'll be coming back in and come off the frame ,get everything painted as its put together....I'm hoping to be back on it in a few months....I'm finding it hard to commit to completely tearing it down now that I can hop in and turn the key and drive it away...

Last edited by deadbodyman; 06-19-2014 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:55 PM
tired and retired

Last photo:

racecar

as l get farther along on this car l can post progress and pics.

Later

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.