1946 Ford Pickup swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1946 Ford Pickup swap

Hello, I have a new project a 1946 Ford Pickup that I would like to change over to a streetrod or hotrod. I would like to know is there a Ford Suspension frame from a ford ranger, bronco that I might be able to fit the body and bed onto. I have to keep this truck all ford, anyhelp in this would be greatful, thanks Rob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 08:22 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Why not just upgrade what you have with new kingpins and bushings..tie rod ends and a disk brake package..the springs may need to be rebuilt and if you wish to lower the truck a dropped axle may be in order..Done that way they drive and handle well like night and day over the worn components in there now..

Sam
Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

I think I may have to agree with One More Time. My 41 is original frame, dropped axle, dropped springs. Handles great. Even avoided a bunny rabbit at 45-50! If you want to go further, id try a mustang 2 kit. I know it might be easier to try and swap whole truck, but it really isn't. Not even to mention the value drop with a ranger frame. I know this isn't really what you asked.......
Old 06-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

the best frame is the one you already have....
Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

46 truxk

What do you want to build ? full fenders, lowered, new drive train? , rat look no fenders, , channeled, on the ground. different nose- grille. we have a 46 , early Y block lincoln, parked behind the barn, mabe a someday. It had been ran into a few times in the wrecking yard. front fenders and grille wasted, My son cut off the front fenders and used the back half, slid them together and trimmed and welded them together to make a 30's style race car rounded nose for his 22 dodge lakester.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:06 AM

Keeping it orginal

Hey, thanks for your input. I have restored 53 and a 56 ford pickup keep them orginal until the motor head worped. I have built up all types of Jeeps and Ford 4x4 I know how to install lift kits, beef up the suspension. I have never lowered anything, I would like to with this truck. Thanks for the good advice, I am going to stick with the orginal frame and this flat head 6 for now. Maybe one day I can lower the truck. I would like to learn how to do that, do they make kits? or can I use what I have?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

easy suspension

The easiest way to lower it and get upgraded brakes etc. is to install an Jaguar front suspension and even to use a Jag rear. there a couple guys here on HR the have jagged their old trucks Jags are popular swaps in the UK australia and New Zeland, lots of info on the web, Hamb site, ford truck enthusist site, Ford Owned Jaguar for a few years so it;s almost keeping your truck all Ford. I have a couple jags slated for a 46 Internaational truck and mabe one of the 45-46 chevy trucks. Our Farm gort flooded last year and the renter did not want to invest all the work and money to get it back into good production so it;s daylight till dark. lots of time and money, the big tractor sucks $ 135 per hour in fuel.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

the easier way to lower the front is with a dropped axle... either an aftermarket job or have a specialty shop drop the stock one.

In the rear you can "flip" the axle so it sits on top of the spring rather than under them...that should give you about a 4" drop... lowering blocks can give you more drop. You will have to c-notch the frame if you go with more than 4"......

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.