1947 chevy fleetmaster subframe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008, 11:27 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1947 chevy fleetmaster subframe

as i stated in my greeting i have a 1947 chevy fleet master that was my parents. my question has been getting mixed results. maybe someone here can clear this up. I have very little experience and am learning as i go so have patience. i would like to subframe my car and have been told that a S10 frame would work. it seems to me that the rise in the rear is too high with out modifying the trunk area of the car to allow it to rest completely down. i have also been told that it would be easier to install a front suspension on original frame, but the frame is pretty much rusted through in places. would this be the best frame choice or would another one work better or is it better to try and patch original frame as i go? I have access to an s-10 frame now so expense that way is ok. just need some suggestions for limited income, thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 05:48 AM
1947 Chevy Coupe

Last photo:

Four wheel drives are wider than two wheel drives so make sure you have a compatible frame. Also, take a million measurements before you do anything. I bought a two wheel drive S 10 Blazer to harvest the drivetrain out of only to find I needed a four wheel drive rear end.

Since my frame is in good shape, I don't need to do a frame swap but will still need to do some welding for the rear end and IFS, engine and transmission mounts etc. You will need to do much more welding, maybe as you said even reshaping parts of the frame. Frame swaps are never direct R&R's no matter what. Make sure you know how to weld well.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:12 PM

thanks for the info. i dont know if i can channel the car without causing to much of a problem in the trunk. may be i should try to repair the original frame with a mstg II front suspension.?

thanks again
Old 08-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Rear Armrests
Last photo:

Are the frame rails rusted through or just the K-member pieces? I can't imagine what the body would be like if the top-hat sections are rusted through.

IMHO, I am much happier with a stock frame and a TCI MII. I do have to rebuild my K-member because it is rusted out.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 PM

I'm doing a 47, and I plan to do the Mustang II front suspension. You mention a subframe..........then you refer to the kickup in the back of the frame? Are you thinking a frame swap or a subframe? Subframe would be something like a cut in front of the firewall and welding in the front part of the donor (S10) frame. I don't know if either would work (I doubt it), but the Mustang II is a great, easy, proven way to upgrade to independent suspension, rack and pinion steering, and disc brakes........give that some thought. I'm personally considering going with the JPL front and rear suspension kit.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

If perhaps I could offer some help,, look on my project journal start last page then backwards. I used a S-10 front clip for my 47 delivery, it is tight issues with the sbc,what exhaust to fit,mounting radiator, fuel pump clearance ,inner fenders, mounting front fenders, steering issues, cutting front frame of donor just past steering to fit(it is tight). My project has been sitting for awhile,this isn't completed so what other problems that will arrise I haven't come across yet. The trac width of the S-10 if I remember is around 1 in narrower the Mustang 2. The only reason I went with the S-10 when I got the project it was already clip that was too wide and to far forward, couldn't find another frame so reclipped. I would suggest staying with original frame find after market front suspension perhaps Chassis Engineering or similar. Hope this helps with your project.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:07 PM

busterwivell,

a complete frame swap would be great but i'm like you i dont think it will work. i am far from the expert, and very inexperienced. just learning as i am going . after replies on this forum i am leaning toward the msII front suspension. thanks for the reply.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:09 PM

zonk,

yes there is about an inch difference in track width. i will definitly take your advice and consider original frame.
Old 08-11-2008, 05:13 PM

Way to go! I've been told by others that it's a simple, easy way to go. Can't wait to get my 56 done so I can get back to the 47 (in pieces).
Old 08-11-2008, 05:19 PM

redsdad,

it is actually the frame rails that are rusted through just in one place. this car was my parents while i was growing up. it has been sitting as long as i remember... outside. there is a lot of surface rust but for the most part the body is decent. i am sure i could find better projects however this one is sentimental. my mom told me it broke down when i was two (1973) they did not have the money to fix it so they bought another vehicle... go figure. thanks for the reply any other advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last photo:

Where on the frame is it rusted through exactly? Most areas are highly stressed, some are not. Got any photos?
Old 08-11-2008, 06:09 PM

redsdad,
no pics right now. i have recently moved to SC from KY. car is still 600 miles away at my parents. am itching to get it here but with gas prices now cant just make a leisure trip... lol. it is rusted on the passenger side just behind the front wheel where it starts up over the front suspension. that is the best description i can give you right now. sorry
Old 08-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last photo:

Probably battery acid damage. A challenge, but do-able.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:45 AM

47 chevy

I have a 47 chevy coup with a nova frontend every thing worked out pretty good.not to sure what year nova
Old 11-08-2010, 06:30 AM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

quite old thread but anyway, I have a '46 4 door fleetmaster, I welded togheter a front subframe of a '74 camaro with the rest of the frame of a '77 4 door malibu, creating a full size space frame with the correct wheelbase, that should have decent handling, coil springs on 4 corners and does not intrude in the rear trunk area or the rest of the floor because the space frame does not have the main rails close to the middle of the car, actually the mounting poins are quite close to the original ones. not a bolt on project though, not even close.

The body is resting over the frame now but I haven't done the mods to make it fit yet, I don't see any major issues marrying the two parts, just finding the time and money to finish it is the problem.

I should end up with a nice hot rod with it's turbocharged 454 roaring up front.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.