1948 5 win business coupe - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 PM

Last journal entry: 1948 chevy 5 window business coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1948 5 win business coupe

what frame can i use on a 1948 5 window business coupe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadoe
what frame can i use on a 1948 5 window business coupe

What kind of car?

Brian
Old 03-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
What kind of car?

Brian

Why do you ask Brian, I know what you are going to say anyways....and it ain't s10........

Budget RVs
Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

brian

Quote:
What kind of car?

Brian
its a 48 chevy business coupe 5 window i bought it they put the body on some type of frame it dont fit at all they welded the body on in the back and made brackets to hold on the front i need a frame for the car that will fit with the car cause this frame is useless i have to replace all the floors and the trunk bought all that new from chevy's of the 40's
Old 03-13-2012, 03:03 PM

Last photo:

poncho

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Why do you ask Brian, I know what you are going to say anyways....and it ain't s10........
this is a real frankinstien i had to take off 5in thick bondo off the body its striped down to metal now but i need a frame that fit this car that i dont have to do all kinds of customizing to need help from the real hot rodders that have been here before and know where is my next move help please
Old 03-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Well, the best frame that will fit your car is a 48 Chevy frame...Everything will fit right.

however, since your car has already been butchered, your best bet is to measure what your wheelbase and track width is and start looking around....In this case, an s10 frame might work

Why not show us some pictures of what you have now, that may help

Budget RVs
Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 PM

Last photo:

Yep, a 46-48 Chevy passenger car frame is the one. Poncho, it has had it's butchering but he is getting all new floors, why do all that work and then TRY to fit the wrong frame under it?

macadoe, if you are going to put some other frame under it, don't waste your money on the original style floors if you are going to put another frame. Just get the S-10 frame, put it under the car and make your own floors to match the frame, THAT makes sense. You can set the body up on the "new" frame channeled or what ever you want setting the body height just as you like, then make the floors. But the floors you are planning on using don't fit anything but the original frame!

Brian
Old 03-13-2012, 06:55 PM

Last photo:

brian

Quote:
Yep, a 46-48 Chevy passenger car frame is the one. Poncho, it has had it's butchering but he is getting all new floors, why do all that work and then TRY to fit the wrong frame under it?

macadoe, if you are going to put some other frame under it, don't waste your money on the original style floors if you are going to put another frame. Just get the S-10 frame, put it under the car and make your own floors to match the frame, THAT makes sense. You can set the body up on the "new" frame channeled or what ever you want setting the body height just as you like, then make the floors. But the floors you are planning on using don't fit anything but the original frame!

Brian
well you guys have gave me great info and the s10 sounds good but the problem is as you said brian i have already bought the floors and the quarter panels everything that the car needed floor and body and i cant get that money back all of it still in the boxes so im stuck with trying to find a 48 chevy frame i am going to put pictures so you can see my frankenstien thanks brian
Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 PM

Last photo:

poncho

Quote:
Well, the best frame that will fit your car is a 48 Chevy frame...Everything will fit right.

however, since your car has already been butchered, your best bet is to measure what your wheelbase and track width is and start looking around....In this case, an s10 frame might work

thanks poncho i will put the pictures up so you guys can see what kind of trouble im in but i will be needing help all the way with this one my first one im doing from scratch
Old 03-13-2012, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

What city and state are you in?

Brian
Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM

Last photo:

brian

Quote:

Brian
Albuquerque new mexico
Old 03-13-2012, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

poncho

Quote:

well i got the pictures up of my frankenstien you can pull a close up on what im looking at first hand poncho
Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

brian

Quote:

Brian
i got my pictures up of my frankenstien you can see what im looking at first hand
Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadoe
Albuquerque new mexico
i made a wrong turn there once, no kidding!

I went looking on Craigslist for you but found nothing. Listen, if there is any advice I could ever give to anyone starting a project like this it is that you need to step back and spend some time moving into the late 40's Chevy "community". If you spend some time moving in, getting to know your fellow late 40's Chevy owners and dealers you will be a lot better off than jumping in to the project before you meet these people.

I own a couple of odd cars, cars that if you were to go to a show or auto parts store or what ever they would look at you like you were just dropped out of a space ship. VERY few people (compared to Chevy) know a single thing about these cars. We are talking comparing a local band down at a bar in town to Metallica.

But once you get into the community, once you start hanging out with others (on line, or in person) you will be blown away at how easy it is to get something like that frame. I bought a frame for my 48 Chevy pickup a while ago, I made one request on a forum dedicated to those trucks and a week later my brother was picking up a frame for me right near his house, done deal. Take your time, hunt around a little for a frame and one will drop in your lap when you least expect it.

Brian
Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

brian

Quote:
i made a wrong turn there once, no kidding!

I went looking on Craigslist for you but found nothing. Listen, if there is any advice I could ever give to anyone starting a project like this it is that you need to step back and spend some time moving into the late 40's Chevy "community". If you spend some time moving in, getting to know your fellow late 40's Chevy owners and dealers you will be a lot better off than jumping in to the project before you meet these people.

I own a couple of odd cars, cars that if you were to go to a show or auto parts store or what ever they would look at you like you were just dropped out of a space ship. VERY few people (compared to Chevy) know a single thing about these cars. We are talking comparing a local band down at a bar in town to Metallica.

But once you get into the community, once you start hanging out with others (on line, or in person) you will be blown away at how easy it is to get something like that frame. I bought a frame for my 48 Chevy pickup a while ago, I made one request on a forum dedicated to those trucks and a week later my brother was picking up a frame for me right near his house, done deal. Take your time, hunt around a little for a frame and one will drop in your lap when you least expect it.

Brian
thanks brian your right i will take that advice and meet in mingle i know some people but i need to know more people its alot of guys out here are in to oldies big time but i will keepin touch and keep posting pictures so you can see were im at with it some people out here not very helpful got to becareful who you deal with but i will push forward to get this project done

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.