1948 Chevy pickup "Motorama" concept car. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for all the pictures and history. This will be a great build to watch. I love the traditional drive train. I am subscribed.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to John long For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (06-09-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for posting the photos, That may have saved me more than a few hours when ever I get the list of other stuff done and get back on my truck and attempt to make some progress.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chopt 48 For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
LOL...I stay on that high everyday...
Right on!

Brian
Old 06-10-2013, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

Guy's, I have to make something clear, I can't emphasize enough my comments about the Camaro clip were referring to MY truck, it was the wrong thing for MY truck. It would be akin to tubbing it, that too would have been the wrong thing for MY truck. I dig tubbed cars and will check them out, just saw a 63ish Falcon in town yesterday that was awesome, I dig it. But it wouldn't be right for MY truck and the build I decided to do. When I first put the clip on, it was going to be a totally different build, and the clip would have made sense. But when it changed into what I am doing now, it was all wrong, way wrong, so thus I did away with it. The frame clip if done properly is a great way to go. I personally just didn't want it on my truck.

Hopefully this is clear, I in no means meant to say that all you guys out there with Camaro clips were wrong.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (06-10-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

Took my first steps back on the truck a few days ago. Filling the gas filler hole in the cab. This filler and tank were moved to the cab in 49. In 47 and 48 these trucks had the tank under the bed on the right side with a filler coming out of bed right above the right running board apron. I have an NOS 47-48 gas tank that I will be using to gain a bit of room behind the seat and also to clean up the lines removing the filler from the cab.

Next I move on to getting the passenger door sectioned and installed so I can brace the cab and finish the top chop.

The cart I made is literally the exact same as the frame that it will bolt to later so bracing the cab isn't that needed but I will just for sake of eliminating future problems. I sectioned the drivers door back 20 years ago when I did the cab and I hung that door the other night, now to move on to the right side.

Brian
Old 06-13-2013, 11:26 PM

Last photo:

Got the passenger door sectioning started tonight.

Brian

Old 06-14-2013, 05:30 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

In the picture, it looks like you are removing the skin. Is that right?

John
Old 06-14-2013, 05:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post

John
It looks like he will not have a seam in the door skin. He is probably going to trim the bottom and re-form the curve higher up.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

easy doors

Doors, quarters that have a gradual curve are easier to trim off the botton, I was in The College shop at UVU last winter and one of the guys was building a shoe box ford. I didn't have a camera to get picts , He was working on it there 5 years ago when I took one of the street rod panel fab classes. There was also a 46 international pickup "Top chop". They first removed the sheet metal inner roof panels and cut the roof skin loose on the front and above the doors. , they didn't cut the doors , they split the A posts and moved the windshield header down about 3 inches, and re-contoured the roof skin, taking out the bubble top hump. We are watching to see some of Brian's tricks.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post

John
Nope, I removed the inner structure off the skin from the center of the door down. The skin and the upper portion of the door frame will stay intact. I will do as Flipper said, re-roll the bottom of the door and trim off the 2.5 inches at the bottom. This way there is no cut thru the middle of the door.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
John long (06-14-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 10:35 PM

Last photo:

I have decided to un-chop it a half inch so that I can install the stock rear window from my donor roof.

I won't be doing it until I get the roof back together once I finish sectioning the passenger door. But I wanted to do something on it today. I removed the lower section of the inner panel around the windows and was going to strategically cut up the donor roof one for it. But after looking at the whole thing a little longer I have decided to go ahead and un-chop it that 1/2 inch so that the stock center rear window will be the exact same height as the corner glass that are chopped making it sort of a wrap around rear glass like a 57 Buick.

I will then put the whole inner piece from top to bottom splicing it right along the bottom under the center window. I will splice it vertically right next to the corner windows.

I am still tossing around the idea of using a 54 curved windshield.

Brian
Old 06-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Keep yhe pictures coming. This going to be a really good build.

Are you still going to widen the rear window?

John
Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 AM

Last photo:

I don't know, I am thinking I may. I also believe I have a solution to my curved windshield dilemma. I think I am will run a very thin windshield divider between the two flat windshields. I am thinking this would have been something they would have done pre-curved windshield in the design studio. These trucks have a very wide moulding, an inch or so wide, then the rubber so total is about an inch and a quarter or so. If I run a very thin piece there, that will give me the look of the GM design studio in the late forties early fifties.

Here is a truck with the optional chrome around the windshield, even it's thinner than that center moulding. I am looking for some of these mouldings, I had one side years ago, I will have to go look but I think I sold it darn it. I have never liked the chrome running boards but DAMN this truck is nice!

Brian

Old 06-24-2013, 08:28 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Something to think about. For more of a Motorama feel, lengthen cab and doors. Poss lay back the windshield . Make roofline more 2 dr ht passenger car like , rear window and side 1/4 glass. Side spear starting bottom of hood swooping down door and back up on rear fenders. Rear of front fenders swooping back into door and matching spearcontour . Front of rear fenders swooping forward poss into door, coke bottle effect front and rear fenders into running boards. Back of window frame swooping more like passenger car 2 dr ht. roof 1/4 sail swooping forward to match door window frame. Package tray behind seat following seat contour. Not a production truck, more style design . Poss side by side dual headlights.
I don't know, just thoughts.

BB
Old 06-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Hey BoothBoy. He could just start with a 57 Dodge truck and modify it to look more like a 53 Chevy. He might end up the same place with less work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.