1948 Chevy pickup "Motorama" concept car. - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Projects/Builds/My Ride
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm with you BB, this could go on for miles, depending on how far I want to go. I am so far planning a pretty mild "styling exercise" more than a "concept car" really. As I go along things will change, like enlarging the rear window and un-chopping it. I never would have thought I would do these things. Especially the rear window. It never made sense to me to chop the top then enlarge the window? HUH But in this case, with what I am after it makes sense.

One of the biggest stumbling stones on a these trucks is the grille. With the hood being how it is changing the grille is HUGE, seldom do those it work unless it is a super radical change like the R&C Dream Truck, changing the grille just doesn't work. So I have some thinking to do there, if I change it, then that would necessitate some other changes more radical that I plan, changes like you have tossed out there.

Some grilles that they were tossing around for these trucks in the GM styling studio maybe?

As of right now, I am planning on using the stock grille with some bumper design and location changes, and changing the park lamps out from the grille. But we will see......

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

John, now you have me thinking again about that rear window!

This is what I have planned so far.

1948 Chevy 5 Window Bodywork Transaxle And Suspension Photo 23

This truck is beautiful!

1948 Chevy Truck Rear Right View Photo 3

But do I want to widen that window and make narrow posts like the rear of that Buick?

Hmmmmmmmmm

Brian
Old 06-24-2013, 11:24 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
John, now you have me thinking again about that rear window!

This is what I have planned so far.

1948 Chevy 5 Window Bodywork Transaxle And Suspension Photo 23

This truck is beautiful!

1948 Chevy Truck Rear Right View Photo 3

But do I want to widen that window and make narrow posts like the rear of that Buick?

Hmmmmmmmmm

Brian
That Buick roof is what got me thinking.

BB
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post

Brian
I hope your not leanning towards this truck... I can enjoy the time that went into this truck,, BUT !!!! It's not my cup of tea,,, I would never do what they did to this truck... Sorry,,

As far as the back glass goes.. I know you have to like what you build,, But leaving the back glass stock takes away from the chop for me... When you see it from the back they don't look chopped at all,, But from the side and front you will see the chop.. Build what you like brian,, Just something to think about,,, Not really sure why people chop a top making all the windows smaller and leaving the back glass stock... But that's just me...

Glade to see your back on it...
Old 06-24-2013, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
I hope your not leanning towards this truck... I can enjoy the time that went into this truck,, BUT !!!! It's not my cup of tea,,, I would never do what they did to this truck... Sorry,,
It's so funny how similar we all are, yet how different we all are. That truck and everything about it has been my favorite since the first time I ever saw it. And that includes all the versions of it. Like this one before the fins were added.

I love everything about it, it's like a movie star to me, a part of my life.
But that is not at all what I am building, so that's all a moot point. It has some of what I want, but it is way too far for me on this particular build. But damn that scoop going into the dash is a neat touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
As far as the back glass goes.. I know you have to like what you build,, But leaving the back glass stock takes away from the chop for me... When you see it from the back they don't look chopped at all,, But from the side and front you will see the chop.. Build what you like brian,, Just something to think about,,, Not really sure why people chop a top making all the windows smaller and leaving the back glass stock... But that's just me...

Glade to see your back on it...
And damn do we see alike on this. I have actually loathed the idea for years. "WTH sense does it make to chop the top and then enlarge the windows?" I have thought that way as long as I can remember. The point in which I changed on this truck is where I decided to build this Motorama style truck. And in that case it isn't about "looking chopped" it's about the look period. And I don't actually want it to look chopped at all, I want it to flow and look like it was made that way by GM in 1953 as "The look of things to come".

But like BB's ideas, yours, everyone can toss stuff out there and it's all good, thanks for posting, I will certainly be using something you guys suggest along the way.

Brian
Old 06-24-2013, 12:16 PM

Last photo:

By the way guys, if you didn't know, this is how that truck looked sometime in mid 1958, it was sold off as junk.

Thank goodness someone found it some years later and restored this work of art (in my opinion). Great story on it ...BARRIS KUSTOM CITY BLOG: October 2010

Brian
Old 06-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

No comment...

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 06-24-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

I had the urge to put a big back window in my truck until I realized it would probably look more like a 23 window VW more than it would a chevy

Old 06-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I believe that you are right about widening the window. If you,widen it out to flow with the quarter windows it will in no way look original. I personally believe it will work well.

John
Old 06-24-2013, 06:48 PM

Last photo:

I got to thinking about this and how different it would be with the larger rear window and the thinner center moulding on the windshield and it would have a very open feeling while driving it, unlike the enclosed feeling of your typical chopped pickup. I am thinking it will be pretty neat. I am leaning in that direction.

Brian
Old 06-24-2013, 07:42 PM

Last photo:

Like driving a sun room
Old 06-24-2013, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
Like driving a sun room
Well, I like my convertible, I am into this all right.

Brian
Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 AM

Last photo:

It hit me today that if I want to build a GM Motorama car I needed to get the correct attire. In all the photos of them building those cars the men had a "lab coat" on. So I stopped at the thrift store today and picked me up a couple. The photo shows me hard at work with a slide rule for figuring out these complex calculations (I have no idea how to use this tool) and of course calipers for those precise cuts I dream I do. The XP-300 Buick is the beautiful car shown Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance a few years ago. It's the same car the men are building in the black and white photo from 1951 I am crazy about these concept cars from the fifties and this particular show was full of them from all over the world and I didn't know it was happening being I am just a mere car washer to the multi millionaires that show their cars and attend that event. I would have gladly paid (normally too rich for my blood) as it costs about $300 a ticket to have gone, DAMN it kills me that I missed that! Anyway, on to making my own "Motorama" car of the future. I removed the drip rails today so I could finish the top chop, I will be re-installing them as I didn't dig at all not having them as I did on my old cab. They DO serve a purpose. I am going to un-chop the top a half inch. So I will be cutting out the section where the tape is, which is one inch. I will then be cutting 1.5 inch from the post I am holding in my hand and welding it that piece in there when I put the top back on, raising it a half an inch. I am doing this instead of welding a half inch piece in there because it's much easier to work with the larger piece. Plus I will be removing the weld I did 20 years ago so there will be two fresh welds now. The piece I am holding in my hand by the way is the 4" piece I cut out of the roof when I chopped it, just as I did my original cab when I was 16.

The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
Valkyrie5.7 (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

been there

You need a pocket protector for your 6 in starret ruler, pen, red pencil, # 4h drafting pencil, # 2 pencil and some Real Buddy Holly dark rim glasses. Years ago my boys found a work Pict of me and found everything for halloween, they even got Flat Top haircuts.
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
MARTINSR (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

I was thinking about the seats I am going to use. When I was 16 with the 4" chop, I removed the seat riser and used a pair of 65 GTO seats (yes pulled them out of a convertible at the wrecking yard!) bolting them straight to the floor, which lowered them enough, shortened the steering column as well. I can't do this again because, well 1965 seats didn't exist in 1954! The cab is now 6 inches thinner so the stock seat is out, I may use it but removing the seat riser and then some modification to it so it's lower or thinner. That is what I was thinking, but I had the idea of using 53 Vette seats, hmmmmm. Every single one of them had them, it isn't like anyone swapped them out in the sixties for a bean bag chair or something, they can't cost that much in 2013, right?

I did a quick look on ebay, there were two one with a pair of junk cushions for $2000!

This is JUST the cushions!

How about a decent right seat cushion set? How about $2500!

And ONE seat frame......$1500!

Think I'll go back to plan A, modify the stock seat (which I need to get, I don't have one) and keep it a three seater. I am thinking to uppolster it to look like the Corvette seats with a smooth area between the "seats" in the middle.

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.