1948 Coupe Left Handed Lug Threads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1948 Coupe Left Handed Lug Threads

I'm attempting to put a set of 94 Lincoln Town Car rims on my 48 Pym 2dr Bus Coupe. The factory car lugs are threaded left on the drivers side, and threaded right on the passengers side. I need to locate a means to convert them as the lug holes are a tad bigger than the Coupes lug bolts. The car has lug bolts that screw out of the hub, rather than lug studs that stay in the hub like modern wheels do when you take the wheel off and on? Getting a tapered conversion lug bolt thats threaded right isn't a problem...it's locating a left handed threaded bolt that I'm wrestling with?

I know I can't be the first to want to put a newer set of wheels on the stock hubs? Any direction I can get is greatly appreciated?

As always, thanks for being so helpful with my project car!

Serpico

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Myself I think I would take the more direct route as those LH threads are a PITA..I would consider taking your hubs and axles to a shop that can drill out and install conventional RH thread studs and be done with it..Much safer and more convenient when you need lug nuts and such..One can go up one size in the stud size with no issues as we do this sort of thing on the race cars on a regular basis..

Sam
Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 AM

48 Coupe Lugs

Thanks for the heads up! I was hoping that I could find a cheaper, less laborous approach but I did not know what you have suggested is possible!

Again, I cannot thank you enough for your kindness in sharing!

Serpico
Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 AM

48 lugs

On My '48 dodge truck, the lugs were actually bolts, so for the driver's side I helicoiled the holes to 1/2" fine Right Hand thread, and used some grade 8 allen bolts from behind with a couple of tack welds on each along with some red loctite. Worked like a charm and cost about $40.00 all in.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:54 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

I am with onemoretime.I think he has the best solution to your problem.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:44 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

These probably are pressed in - and if so, should press out fairly easily. Look for a short rounded "nut" on the inside of the drum. I use a big hammer, with the underside of the lug over a piece of pipe to concentrate the hammering around the lug and to not distort the drum face and whang away. Once you get them out it should be a fairly easy task to take one, along with your hole measurements and the actual diameter over the knurls where they press in and have your dealer get out his Dorman book. (Being that old of a car, of course this might not be the way they are installed, but you can hope). There are a lot of choices, with different knurl diameters and lengths. I would only take a couple out at a time - these locate the hub to the drum and if the holes aren't lined up as they were removed you might have to turn the drum.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
These probably are pressed in - and if so, should press out fairly easily. Look for a short rounded "nut" on the inside of the drum. I use a big hammer, with the underside of the lug over a piece of pipe to concentrate the hammering around the lug and to not distort the drum face and whang away. Once you get them out it should be a fairly easy task to take one, along with your hole measurements and the actual diameter over the knurls where they press in and have your dealer get out his Dorman book. (Being that old of a car, of course this might not be the way they are installed, but you can hope). There are a lot of choices, with different knurl diameters and lengths. I would only take a couple out at a time - these locate the hub to the drum and if the holes aren't lined up as they were removed you might have to turn the drum.
I believe he said that he had the screw in lug bolts...not lug nuts and press in studs. That being said...a good machine shop could probably drill hiis threads out and press in some press in type lug studs of the proper size and thread etc.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
I believe he said that he had the screw in lug bolts...not lug nuts and press in studs. That being said...a good machine shop could probably drill hiis threads out and press in some press in type lug studs of the proper size and thread etc.
You're right - I didn't read it well enough - I'm bad

That just makes it a bit easier with screw ins.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:36 PM

Serpico's Question on Left Threaded Lugs

I cannot thank all of you guys enough! I have a solution a local hot rodder shared with me this afternoon that is simple and economical:

He gave me a website for McMaster-Car.com which is a supplier of bolts, nuts, washers, and right at 4000 different items. They supply stud bolts of the exact size that I need. For the left handed threaded side they sell a stud that's left handed thread on one end and right handed on the other!!!
I'm replacing all of mine simply with new stainless steel studs on both sides of the car now and I can use a standard lug nut that threads to the right all the way around. What a savings of labor and money!!!

It's costing me $23.00. She's shipping them to me today and I will have them in hand tomorrow.

www.McMaster-Carr.Com

Telephone 630-833-0300

The website has an on-line catolog!
Old 04-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Stuck in the past.

Last photo:

Better use red Loctite on those left hand threads or some kind of thread locker. When you turn the nuts on to tighten them you can start backing out the left hand threaded studs. The permanent fix is to have them drilled out and studs pressed in from the back. It is a safer alternative and won't come out unexpectedly.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico
I cannot thank all of you guys enough! I have a solution a local hot rodder shared with me this afternoon that is simple and economical:

He gave me a website for McMaster-Car.com which is a supplier of bolts, nuts, washers, and right at 4000 different items. They supply stud bolts of the exact size that I need. For the left handed threaded side they sell a stud that's left handed thread on one end and right handed on the other!!!
I'm replacing all of mine simply with new stainless steel studs on both sides of the car now and I can use a standard lug nut that threads to the right all the way around. What a savings of labor and money!!!

It's costing me $23.00. She's shipping them to me today and I will have them in hand tomorrow.

www.McMaster-Carr.Com

Telephone 630-833-0300

The website has an on-line catolog!
Sounds good - many of us use McMaster Carr for odd ball items. The only caution with stainless - some of it is pretty soft - like about a Grade 2 low carbon steel bolt and really not strong enough for a wheel stud.

Dave W
Old 04-17-2008, 03:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

that and with a steel lugnut, it will lock down because of the metal diffrence.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:16 PM

YOU can use 1/2" Grade 8 bolts like I did on my 55pu. I tapped the holes to RH and screwed the bolts from the inside out and tack wlded them and used Ford lug nuts.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.