Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   1949 chevy pickup hood (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/1949-chevy-pickup-hood-212215.html)

tbrown8338 01-10-2012 05:04 PM

1949 chevy pickup hood
 
can someone tell me how the hood should fit on my truck. the hood closes but it look like its setting on top of the fenders. should the edge of the hood be down even with the top of the fenders. my hood bumpers are hitting the fenders so it can't go down any further unless the fenders are spreaded. the fender can't spread because they are connected to the radiator support. please help with adjusting this hood i have tried everthing it know. also the front of the hood is not setting on the hood bumpers.

ratrodmiller 01-12-2012 01:53 PM

truck cab
 
hello, What you prolly need to do is shim the front cab mount up about 3/8 of inch also you made need to shim core support up some too.
any more questions feel free to ask i love the trucks!

MARTINSR 01-12-2012 02:46 PM

The hood is probably not back far enough. Remember it's a V shape, so if it is forward just a bit too far the gaps close up. How big is the gap at the rear of the hood to the top of the cowl where it meets up?

Brian

tbrown8338 01-15-2012 04:41 PM

1949 chevy hood
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR
The hood is probably not back far enough. Remember it's a V shape, so if it is forward just a bit too far the gaps close up. How big is the gap at the rear of the hood to the top of the cowl where it meets up?

Brian

probally about a 1/4" gap

tbrown8338 01-15-2012 04:54 PM

1949 chevy pickup doors
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ratrodmiller
hello, What you prolly need to do is shim the front cab mount up about 3/8 of inch also you made need to shim core support up some too.
any more questions feel free to ask i love the trucks!

yes sir i have a problem with the passenger door gap. at the bottom of this door on the fender side i have a big gap when closed probally 1/2" and about 8" up. i took some measurements in between the door post and on the passanger side it measures about 34" across at the bottom bolt on the hinge. on the drive side it measures about 331/2". i think the outer door post been repaired but it all looks straight. do you have any suggestion on how to correct this. please help!!!! also can you help me with the door rubber on this truck. i ordered some from lmc but it was the wrong rubber and would not let the door close. can you tell me where to get the right rubber from.

tbrown8338 01-15-2012 04:55 PM

1949 chevy hood
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrown8338
probally about a 1/4" gap

can you tell me how to adjust it

ratrodmiller 01-15-2012 05:26 PM

door adjustment
 
Tbrown
I've seen alot of the trucks with your problem. It prolly got hung on something while backing up and the hinge is prolly stretched out.I would try and replace hinges first.

tbrown8338 01-15-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratrodmiller
Tbrown
I've seen alot of the trucks with your problem. It prolly got hung on something while backing up and the hinge is prolly stretched out.I would try and replace hinges first.

i really don't think it a hing problem the door open and clos fine it's jus the gap at the bottom not the whole gap just about 8" up from the bottom

ratrodmiller 01-15-2012 05:38 PM

door adjustment
 
Well you can slot the hinge out. All three bolt holes that attach to door, slot those holes n hinges and move door back.

ratrodmiller 01-15-2012 05:49 PM

weather strip
 
As far as door rubber I bought mine from classic truck parts in dallas,tx and its real good soft easily conforms and use 3m weather stripping adhesive to install it around doors.

tbrown8338 01-15-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratrodmiller
Well you can slot the hinge out. All three bolt holes that attach to door, slot those holes n hinges and move door back.

that won't help either. th problem is the gap is perfect on the back side of the door (rear) and it is perfect on the front side until you get close to the bottom. it seem like the front post may be twisted some how i reall don't know

tbrown8338 01-15-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratrodmiller
As far as door rubber I bought mine from classic truck parts in dallas,tx and its real good soft easily conforms and use 3m weather stripping adhesive to install it around doors.


you don't have a part number do you and a picture of how they fit on the doors

ratrodmiller 01-15-2012 05:56 PM

doors
 
Only other alternate fix is cut post lose..when or if floor of cab was replaced the post may have not been straight when new one was welded in. I guess..lol....

ratrodmiller 01-15-2012 06:01 PM

weather stripping
 
The door weather stripping is wedged shaped and it fits perfectly around inside of door panel.right in place where doors skin wraps around door edge.also ill post pic of mine tommor.

tbrown8338 01-15-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratrodmiller
The door weather stripping is wedged shaped and it fits perfectly around inside of door panel.right in place where doors skin wraps around door edge.also ill post pic of mine tommor.

ok thatnk's a lot


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.