1949 chevy truck frame swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010, 02:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1949 chevy truck frame swap

I have a 99 silverado 2wd reg cab short bed. It has a 5.3 vortec with auto trans. I want to put a 1949 chevy pickup on my frame. I'm needing help weighing options. What would need fabrication what would need changing things like that. If some one can give me dome pointers I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Justin

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Well You will hear a lot on this from other's here.. First you need to check the wheel base...See how close it is..Then you will probably need to remake ''ALL'' the mounts...I have never did one that way..But have seen a few done..It's really more trouble then its worth...IMHO I usually clip the old frame or build a new one... The trouble to make one work, And then to have it look right after its done is another thing...You are better off upgrading the old frame or build a new one..
Old 06-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

A lot of guys are using S10 frames on the 48-54 AD Chevy pickups....I believe there are even kits available

That said.......the easiest is probably updating your old frame, if in good shape
Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,325 Times in 1,149 Posts
There is NOTHING easy about this! A frame swap is simply a "money swap", "time swap" or "work swap", that is it! It doesn't save money, time or work, it only SWAPS it for different money time or work.

Stick with the stock frame, use some hot rod bolt on stuff and you are good to go. There is WAY more than you think, there is NO "swap" of ANY non stock frame.

Brian
Old 06-28-2010, 10:57 AM

Chevy

Would it be easier to put my vortec 5.3 I wanna stay with the fuel injection and the motor I have already since there's rust in my 99 I thought it be interesting to have the 5.3 vortec and auto trans in a 49-53 chevy bull nose pick up. Any suggestions. I don't wanna run a 350 seems like a common set up I wanna run something a bit more modern with a piece of chevy history.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_mn_c1500
Would it be easier to put my vortec 5.3 I wanna stay with the fuel injection and the motor I have already since there's rust in my 99 I thought it be interesting to have the 5.3 vortec and auto trans in a 49-53 chevy bull nose pick up. Any suggestions. I don't wanna run a 350 seems like a common set up I wanna run something a bit more modern with a piece of chevy history.

it is much easier to put the motor into your frame, then to do a frame swap... the most important thing is setting up the fuel right..
Old 06-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Correct is it possible to take all the wiring computer and electronics for the moor and mount them in a 50's body and frame. I just like the response ou o my 5.3 to an such and like to see what it would feel like in a 50's truck.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_mn_c1500
Correct is it possible to take all the wiring computer and electronics for the moor and mount them in a 50's body and frame. I just like the response ou o my 5.3 to an such and like to see what it would feel like in a 50's truck.

Yes you can..They will have a lot of extra wires you don't really need..They do make a stand a lone wiring harness for them kind of swap's..Sure makes them easier... Street performance has all kind of stuff..And great people to help you do it..
Old 06-28-2010, 11:59 AM

Only thing I'm wondering about is the trans working because it's electronic and there's no mechanical linkage. I can weld and fabricate. So I dunno
Old 07-03-2010, 01:59 AM

Last photo:

Check this site out it has alot of info and they are working on motor mounts for the Gen 3 engines and can point you in the right direction for other options.

http://www.ad-engineering.com/index.html

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.