Hot Rod Forum banner

1949 chevy truck radiator replacement..HELP!!!

6K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  48s10 
#1 ·
I replaced the 235 six with a 350 v8 and auto transmission. Kept the original radiator. I installed a fan shroud and a 16" electric fan to help keep the cooling stable. It's fine as long as I'm rolling down the road, however, if I stop, even to drive through the coffee spot for a cup of joe, it starts getting to the overheating stage. I know the original radiator is 62 years old, and was told it would have to be replaced at some point in time. Now I'm looking at aluminum 3 row, 4 row radiators, custom built three and four row radiators. I saw some on ebay with lifetime guarantees with 3/4" tubes. Any advice on the best way to handle this??? I would very much like to be able to participate in cruises, parades, and wait in line at the drive thru espresso spot without having to turn the engine off to prevent overheating. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

#2 ·
What may very well solve your problem is a proper fan shroud. That is usually the deciding factor on cooling when not in motion while it cools while in motion. Your fan is sucking air from around the sides instead of THROUGH the radiator. A fan shroud around the fan forces it to be pulled THROUGH the radiator.

Brian

#4 ·
#6 ·
The original honeycomb style radiator will not cool a V8 no matter what fan or shroud you use. It might get you by for awhile but during heavy traffic or summer heat it will fail.

I use a direct replacement "Desert Cooler" style radiator in my 54 and it seems to do a good job cooling the SBC with an electric puller fan.

These radiators are reasonably priced through several sources but I got mine through Classic Parts.com.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.