Hot Rod Forum banner

1950 3/4 ton brakes

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Chopt 48 
#1 ·
I have a brake problem on my 1950 chevy 3/4 ton pick up. all the brakes are locked up, and the hubs are 8 lug. I want to go from a 8 lug to a 5 if possible. I solved the problem with the rear. I swapped it out for a chevy 12 bolt. I have been told that for the front i would have to put a mustang II on it or a camero front end. But i have been looking at the brakes, and have wondered if i buy a 1/2 ton disc brake conversion kit, and have the spindles milled down if that would work? I have a friend that is a machinist, and said that he could do it. So it would only cost me the parts for the brakes. Would this work?

#2 ·
If you want to keep the I beam axle why not just swap to a half ton axle and spindles? You can probably find one that someone in your area pulled out to put a independent front end under the truck? Machine work would get spendy in a hurry unless you can get a buddy deal.

Then you can either convert to disk easily or swap on 54 Chev passenger car drums and backing plates. That takes making a few spacers but is an easy swap.

There are also a couple of outfits, RB's for one that sell bolt on Mustang II style crossmembers. They are a bit clunky but all you need to do the job are a half inch drill, a tape measure and a hand full of wrenches. They have a lot to offer to the guy who is building a driver and doesn't weld.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.