1950 Chevy 2 dr car options - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2009, 02:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1950 Chevy 2 dr car options

I have a complete, rusty 2dr car. My plans when I acquired it years ago was to restore it and keep it original. I lost interest for a while, and now am thinking about the car again. I am thinking of a more modern drivetrain with some creature comforts, maybe OD, and fuel injection, etc.
Option one, use a nova/camaro subframe, and piece together a 700R4/350 combo, and probably rear end from the camaro/nova.
Option two, use a complete frame/drivetrain from say a 88 Caprice donor. shorten/lengthen as needed.
Option three, use a Mustang II type front end, and piece together the rest.
Option four, keep the 50 frame, convert to a disc brake set up on the front, swap in a FI 350/700R4, and swap rear ends.
Which of these methods should prove most successful and which would be easiest/quickest? Thanks guys from the newbie
Boyce

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,146 Times in 945 Posts
Depending on the year used, you may find that the Nova/Camaro is a little too wide on the front track to make a good candidate. The Caprice is out of the question.

Option four would be the simplest/easiest, but you'd still have to deal with 60 year old steering and suspension designs.

I have no idea the depth of your expertise in pulling off a clip swap, but as for me, I'd find a '78 to '86 G body GM product and use both clips off it. Track is 58.5" and should be about right for your Chevy. Monte Carlo, Malibu, Cutlass, El Camino, Grand Prix.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:16 AM

The G body may be a good option. I could buy a complete donor car, with running drivetrain....OD V8 with fuel injection. I could possibly save a lot of dough having a complete donor car, rather than buying everything seperately. Now about the firewall. How much would I have to modify it?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Left Front Fender
Last photo:

IMHO, unless you get real lucky on the condition of a donor car, you are going to have more in it after you replace tie rod ends, ball joints, and brakes. If you have good welding skills (or a friend who has good welding skills), I like this kit. I have their kit on my 41.

http://www.totalcostinvolved.com/pro...fm?prodID=1017

The cross member bolts in and the spring hats weld on.

If you would prefer a complete bolt on, these guys make quality stuff. I have their rear suspension kit.

http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page28.html
http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com/page29.html

Remember, all the parts are new in these kits. New brakes, bearings, suspension and steering parts. They are narrow, so you don't have to worry about special offset wheels or special control arms. Just my 2 cents.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.