Hot Rod Forum banner

1950 Chevy front grill question

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Cape Cod Bob 
#1 ·
Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Newly acquired 1950 Chevy Bel Air. A little bit of a novice question for paint and body guys. "Chevrolet" on front grill in blue ... see pic. How'd that come from the factory in 1950? Appears to be a sticker on mine! (zoom in on the "v") Seems strange that it wasn't painted? Or was it and this is something someone did years later?

Or did the grill section originally come just in chrome and this is a modern addition? If they do make replacement stickers for these letters, does anyone know where I can purchase some?:confused:

Looks pretty ****ty if you look real close. I can always just heat and peel off current blue stickers and leave plain or have a pinstriper paint blue? From a restoration standpoint, what's the proper call?

New to the board, did try searching with no luck. :(

See less See more
#2 ·
View attachment 344498

Newly acquired 1950 Chevy Bel Air. A little bit of a novice question for paint and body guys. "Chevrolet" on front grill in blue ... see pic. How'd that come from the factory in 1950? Appears to be a sticker on mine! (zoom in on the "v") Seems strange that it wasn't painted? Or was it and this is something someone did years later?

Or did the grill section originally come just in chrome and this is a modern addition? If they do make replacement stickers for these letters, does anyone know where I can purchase some?:confused:

Looks pretty ****ty if you look real close. I can always just heat and peel off current blue stickers and leave plain or have a pinstriper paint blue? From a restoration standpoint, what's the proper call?

New to the board, did try searching with no luck. :(
I have to believe it's a reproduction grille. If it's in nice shape, I have to believe it's reproduction as the originals are pretty hard to make like new and cost quite a bit.https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/13449/Grille_Upper_Bar_Chrome.html

The stickers are available, yes originally it was paint.

https://www.chevsofthe40s.com/detail/13686/Chevrolet_Grille_Lettering_Chevrolet_Blue_Vinyl.html

If you do paint it, it's very simple. Just dab the paint in and wipe off the excess. Don't do as I have and use good quality paint, urethane or something like you would paint the car with. I have used some cheap stuff and it fads out in no time.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.