1950 Ford 3.0 V6? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

1950 Ford 3.0 V6?

I have a 1950 Ford with a flathead V8 and a three-speed overdrive transmission. When I originally purchased the car I had planned on putting in a more modern V8 and it has not moved out of the planning stage.

But lately considering the high price of gas I have been thinking about going a different direction with it. I have a 1989 Ford Aerostar van with a 3.0 V6 and a 5-speed transmission, the body is trashed on this van but the engine runs great.

I have been thinking about putting the 3.0 and the 5-speed in the 50. I think it should have adequate power since the 3.0 is rated at around 145 horsepower and the original V8 was rated at around 100 horses.

I am thinking that the end result should be a nice driver that is fairly easy on gas, what do you think?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2006, 11:57 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

It's a great idea! The 3.0L probably puts out more torque than the original flat head V-8 too. A lot of people on here will say "go with a V-8", but if you're buidign it to drive and want to enjoy driving it, put the V-6 in. It won't quite be a hot rod, but it will be much better than the original V-8. HP really doesn't mean all that much, the torque does. The 50 weighs less than the Aerostar, so it should perform better than it did. I'd use the Aerostar rear end also, or gear the 50 rear close to the same. Within 0.5 of the ratio (+ or -) should be fine.

I built my last car as a driver and went with a hopped up six vs. a V-8 and I don't regret it one bit! I stroked the six from 244 to 282 inches, and sometimes wish I hadn't though! Gave up a couple mpg, but not enough performance added to notice without a stop watch. I don't regret doing it, but if I were going to build another I'd leave the engine stock except for exhaust and maybe a cam change (I have a mild cam also). The stroking is done a lot by Jeepers (it's the Jeep 4.0L, stroked to 4.6L) because it gives a big boost in low speed torque. There's a HP gain also, but it's higher in the rpm range than you normally use. The extra low speed torque isn't really needed in a street car, the stock 4.0L engine has plenty.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
It's a great idea! The 3.0L probably puts out more torque than the original flat head V-8 too. A lot of people on here will say "go with a V-8", but if you're buidign it to drive and want to enjoy driving it, put the V-6 in. It won't quite be a hot rod, but it will be much better than the original V-8. HP really doesn't mean all that much, the torque does. The 50 weighs less than the Aerostar, so it should perform better than it did. I'd use the Aerostar rear end also, or gear the 50 rear close to the same. Within 0.5 of the ratio (+ or -) should be fine.

I built my last car as a driver and went with a hopped up six vs. a V-8 and I don't regret it one bit! I stroked the six from 244 to 282 inches, and sometimes wish I hadn't though! Gave up a couple mpg, but not enough performance added to notice without a stop watch. I don't regret doing it, but if I were going to build another I'd leave the engine stock except for exhaust and maybe a cam change (I have a mild cam also). The stroking is done a lot by Jeepers (it's the Jeep 4.0L, stroked to 4.6L) because it gives a big boost in low speed torque. There's a HP gain also, but it's higher in the rpm range than you normally use. The extra low speed torque isn't really needed in a street car, the stock 4.0L engine has plenty.
That is good to hear, I have been wondering lately if I am not getting old crazy and needed slapped silly. Not that I wasn't a little crazy to start with. Going from a V8 to a V6 would have sounded like insanity to me twenty years ago but gas was cheap and I wanted to go fast. I have went from a 6 to to a V8 so now might be the time to try this new thing.

I checked out your gallery pictures and that wagon looks good. What kind of mileage are you getting with the Jeep engine? My Cherokee has the 4.0 and is getting from 15 to 19 mpg (it gets around 19 if I drive it and 15-16 if my wife or kid drive it).
Old 03-05-2006, 09:42 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Crash, My Bud and I replace the flathead in his 51 Business coupe with a 302 with 2 barrel. An old style Bronco oil pan was required to clear the cross member (still had to modify the cross member slightly to get the motor as low as we wanted) and we used a late model 3 speed with overdrive tranny. We kept the original rear end. He now gets almost 20 MPG on the open road and 17 daily driving. He can't help putting his foot in it since it is a fun car to drive. Big increase in performance as well as fuel economy. Even though the Astro Van and shoe box is probably close to equal in weight, the smaller 3 Liter may be laboring a bit vice the 302 (5 Liter). Regardless of which way you go, make sure you have EFI and you will increase fuel mileage and performance over the carbed units. I vote for the 5.0 from an early 90s Mark VII or Towncar, or Mercury. They are common as dirt and you can find the Air Bagged cars with low mileage cheap. But you already know that.

Trees
Old 03-06-2006, 09:38 AM

Crash, I average 18-19 mpg, get 20-22 on the road depending on how I'm driving. I got closer to 24 mpg with the stock 4.0L, and could barely tell a difference in performance.

Don't think the 50s cars are as heavy as later ones because they are near the same bulkiness (apparent size)!! The 50s cars didn't have as many layers of metal nor things like 20# crash bars in the doors. The shoebox weighed around 2700 pounds (http://www.uship.com/listing.aspx?packageID=35809), the Aerostar closer to 4000 (http://cgi.liquidation.com/auction/view?id=795205). These weights aren't exact, but there is still around an 800-1200 pound difference in the 50's favor! Even if you use the smaller number, that's enough to make a noticeable performance difference.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last photo:

The original flathead was rated at 100 horsepower but it had 180 ft-lbs of torque. The 3.0 was rated at 145 hp and 165 ft-lbs of torque. I wonder how much difference would be noticed while driving?

On the other hand, I do have a rear-sump 302 out of a wrecked 1989 Econoline and I have a 4-speed overdrive transmission out of another Econoline.and I still have the 89 van so I could pull the wiring and computer out of it. The V8 would sound better.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:32 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Thats where I would spend my enegry. The 302 with overdrive will be loafing with several extra ponies if you want them. Also, the mild engine will let your original rear end live a long life. Couple this with EFI and you will have your economy car!!!

When you get the car on the road, why don't you run it across the scales to see what it weighs. I think it will push 3000+#s.

Trees
Old 03-13-2006, 10:06 AM

Crash, I posted about this in another thread somewhere! The flat head is rated at gross HP and TQ -- the 3.0L rated at net HP and TQ. Subtract 30% from the flat head ratings to get a near equivalent to the 3.0L. That makes the flat head 70 hp and 126 ft/lb. The rating method changed after 1971. Anything built 71 and earlier is rated with the gross method, 72 and later net. Usingthe raw numbers is like comparing apples and oranges. The 3.0L is a good bit more powerful. Some people just won't give up on a V-8 just for the sake of having one! The only drawback to the 3.0L is that you have to use the EFI computer system. I don't see it as areal drawback, not if you havethe entire donor vehicle. It's not that hard to wire it in.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

If you drive it 10,000 miles a year, how many dollars will you save on gas compared to a 5.0 fuelie?

Will you be satisfied with what you have to drive?
Old 03-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

Crash, you've got a private message. (My son lives in Greenfield.)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.