1950 Ford Tires - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Dan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1950 Ford Tires

My 50 Business Coupe has 16" wheels that are 4.5" wide. The cars has a 350 Chevy and Tranny. I am still running bias tires. I want some radials that will fit the old wheels. Its a puzzlement to the young fellers at the tire stores. All they can come up with are the Coker 16R16 @~ $$$$. I admit the tire charts have got me all confused too. I know I can go to a 15" wheel and am told a P205-75R/15 would work. But there must me a 16"radial that would do it without resorting to the pricey special tires. Obviously the limiting factor is the clearance on the rear fenders (width). Right now I have LT 650 16s on it and have to deflate the rears or jack it up with a bumper jack to get em on. Would like to hear some recommendations
Thanks
Dan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Coker... lol...

You must have been out of the loop for a bit, as I have for a while. Click the link below to learn about Coker. There are other reproduction tire makers out there besides Coker.

CLICK HERE
Old 03-11-2010, 07:09 AM
Dan

Last photo:

?ls6?

I guess I am out of the "loop"--but what kind of response was that? It was a simple question--I am not in the market for a Coker product--too expensive for my application. If you don't like Mr Coker that's fine-- if you don't have an answer to my question which is --"is there ar common production radial replacement for a bias 16' tire on a 4.5" rim that will fit a 1950 Ford car"--then let it slide.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

Coker aside, I did a search for vintage tires, and came across this maker... I didn't bother checking Coker. Keep in mind the production is very low (how often do people buy stock size tires for a 1950 Ford?) so the prices will be higher than if you were to, say, buy some tires for a 1999 Ford.

other reproduction tire maker

Hope this offers a good solution. If I had the tire size (old school way of measuring them) I might be able to help you out some more. I wish you luck.
Matt

Last edited by ChevelleSS_LS6; 03-11-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwestmor
My 50 Business Coupe has 16" wheels that are 4.5" wide. Right now I have LT 650 16s on it and have to deflate the rears or jack it up with a bumper jack to get em on.
Some of the 1949 Fords came with 16" rims and used 6.00-16 tires.

To the best of my knowledge the 1950 Fords came with 15" rims and the tire size was 6.70-15.

The 'normal' way to remove and replace the rear tires was to use a bumper jack and raise the rear of the car quite high. Always a somewhat dangerous situation because of the lack of stability of the stock bumper jack. Do NOT have any body parts under the vehicle when using a bumper jack unless you have placed something else under the vehicle to prevent it from falling on you and crushing you. A spare tire works well laying on it's side. Raising the body with the bumper jack allowed the rear suspension to drop down far enough to remove the tire/wheel combo from the wheel well. If a bottle jack/floor jack was used under the axle housing you could get the tire off the ground easily, but could not remove the tire from the fender well.

Many imported cars of today have narrow 16" rims. Check them for radius tire sizes for your rims.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:36 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco

Many imported cars of today have narrow 16" rims. Check them for radius tire sizes for your rims.

Very true; the tires wouldn't look 'resto' if that's what you're going for, but they should be significantly less expensive.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:28 AM

Last photo:

I went to the tire rack web site and couldn't find any 16" radials that didn't require at least a 5.5" rim width. Something else to think about. Are those 16" rims safety rims? If not, radials may not be a good choice.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.