1950 Ford vs. 1989 VW Gti.....suggestions? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2003, 02:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post 1950 Ford vs. 1989 VW Gti.....suggestions?

Hey guys, im looking for a daily driver car...and im not sure if I should get the 1950 ford that I really want, or just go with the '89 vw. This would normally be an easy decision except for the fact that I am moving to NYC in the fall for school. I will be living in Queens, and owning a car is not gonna be a problem. However, I will need to drive the car from Los angeles to NYC. Then it has to be reliable when driving to and from school in the mornings. As far as winters in NYC, I will probably just store the car for 4 months (and use public transportation), then park it on the street again when its spring.

My other idea was to get the '50 ford, drive it to NYC...then buy a second beater car when I get there. Finding a '50 ford with no rust is probably a lot more difficult to do out on the east coast than it is here in los angeles.

Or maybe I should get the VW, and wait till after college to get a '50 ford. The thing is, im not sure if I am even gonna leave NYC after school. I may just end up living there. What do you guys think I should do...get the VW..or '50 ford??

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: '54-Hunter ]</p>

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2003, 12:02 PM

anyone wanna throw there 2 cents in?
Old 02-25-2003, 12:18 PM
efilnekcufecin

Last photo:

It sounds like a tough decision.hmmmmm

I'm not real sure on the reliability of VW's,but If your wanting somethin reliable late 80's early 90's cavalier's are very reliable. Z-24's with over 200,000 miles still sell for over a grand cause they have well built engine's.And they get good gas milage and parts are not very expensive.

Maybe go ahead and get the 50 ford and then get a car when you get to NY for a beater like you said.But there is gonna be plenty of salt on the roads in NY,so even if it dosent have rust now it could develop some down the road after enough winters.

Sorry I couldnt help more.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:26 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

I concur with MotoPsyco, go with a Small chevy or Ford or even a Buick or Chrysler of some kind, don't trust the VW's. Buy American, save American jobs!

Todd
Old 02-25-2003, 03:03 PM

what do you guys think of K-Cars?? Ive seen some 1984-1989 Dodge Aries/ PLymouth Reliants going for very cheap. I really like the body style...very utilitarian. Its like the kinda car the goverment would have bought in the '80's. Im just worried about reliability. If I can find a cheap K-car, then I can probably get the '50 ford too.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:28 PM

K-cars...I love 'em. Utilitarian is right, just like the Mopar car line from 1949-54, as we used to say "Grandma cars". That's why they're cheap and plentiful.
As for buying a "rust-free" California car and taking it to NYC, or any northern rust-belt state, I can only say----Are you nuts?".
The first question a Northerner asks of a Southerner when talking about a car to buy is "does it have rocker panels...and a floor?". If the answer is "yes" the car is sold!
Old 02-25-2003, 03:44 PM
FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

Last journal entry: Swinger
Last photo:

My grandfather owns a Euro-Aisan shop and those VW's in that year have tranny issues, so he says.

I would get a four cyl volvo from 86-91. They get decent milage and mine has 286k on it. I bought it for $1000 with 200k miles on it. Just routine matenance and it'll go forever. I routinely work on volvo's in the sacramento area with 190k to 300k on htem. I'm serious. Not much for looks though.

Don't know if it helps but that is my opinion.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.