Hot Rod Forum banner

1950 GMC COE steering modifications

12K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  aosborn 
#1 ·
Has anyone experienced putting in a steering system for COE mounted on a 1972 chevy 4x4 frame? I pretty much have got it all figured out but am looking for ideas incase I am missing something.

The steering sytem geometry is totally different with a Cab Over. I am using a steering column out of the 1989 chevy ventura van and a P/S streering gear box out of that 1970's international scout II that I am turning on its side so to match up with the angle of the steering column and have the pitman arm going the right direction for attaching to the steering arm off the left wheel on this 4x4. Quite a bit of work went into finding the right steering box but I think this will do ust fine. Any better ideas?

I have not figured out what adapters I need to mate the steering column to the steering box since I just ordered the steering box with the pitman arm. Is there a good place to look up parts for steering linkages?

I love the challenges in putting this truck together and it is going quite well.

Dallas

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
COE steering

I'm fighting the same problem (55 GMC COE on 2001 Chevy S10 chassis). I tried rotating the stock steering gear to improve the angle with the stock steering column/dash. No luck; even with two U joints the pitman arm won't work even with modification.
My next idea is to shorten and tilt the steering column to get an angle I can solve with U joints and still use the dash.
I will let you know.
Any other ideas will be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.