Hot Rod Forum banner

1950 Packard Brakes

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  66ImpSS396 
#1 ·
I am working on a set of rear brakes on a '50 Packard. Believe it or not I had no problem getting the drums off .. maybe that is the problem. Well here is what I am experiencing. When I apply the brakes one wheel (right rear) totally locks up and leaves a very impressive patch. (wish it would do it with the accelerator :)), I removed the rear drums and the brakes/springs/wheel cyls appear brand new with no binding etc.. Any ideas ? Can anyone tell me what the torque is for the nut on the rear ? These have tapered shafts and a key so I don't think
the std rule applies (turn until they start to bind and backoff). Some tech article I read said something about 250ft/lbs. If this is correct then my getting the drums off so easily could be the problem.. I removed the nuts with an adjustable wrench and the palm of my hand. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

#2 ·
You mean tapered axle shafts, like an AMC? These have a big nut holding the wheel hub (with the studs in it) on the end of the axle. They are tightened to 250 ft/lbs on AMCs, and likely the same on Packard. Those nuts should not hold the brake drum on though. They are like front drive hub nuts -- only hold the hub on. The drums should pull off the studs just like any other car, though there may be a small screw or two holding the drum to the hub, or a speed nut or two pressed over a stud.

One wheel looking up in the rear is usually a sign that the brake shoes are wet with fluid, or have been. A previous owner may have repaired the leak and left the old shoes on? I'd look at them really good. There should just be one rubber line running to the axle with a metal line running along the rear axle. The rubber line can collapse on the inside and look fine on the outside, but that would affect both wheels. Air in one half of the line (the side that doesn't lock) coupld be a problem, so bleeding might help. Inspect the line along the axle for any signs of kinking or damage, though I doubt you will find any. There could be something lodged inside the metal line on the side that locks that will let fluid pass to apply brakes but seals the line when you lett off.

#3 ·
farna said:
You mean tapered axle shafts, like an AMC? These have a big nut holding the wheel hub (with the studs in it) on the end of the axle. They are tightened to 250 ft/lbs on AMCs, and likely the same on Packard. Those nuts should not hold the brake drum on though. They are like front drive hub nuts -- only hold the hub on. The drums should pull off the studs just like any other car, though there may be a small screw or two holding the drum to the hub, or a speed nut or two pressed over a stud.
Sounds like the same setup except the nut does hold the drum on. Does the AMC have bearings in the hub like the front brake on later cars? This setup does not. The drum and hub are one piece. Maybe I need to get a pic of this ? The 250ft/lb number seems to keep coming up. Interesting isn't it ?
Thanks

#4 ·
The AMC axles uses regular axle bearings in the ends of the tubes. The seals and bearings are pressed onto the axle from the hub side instead of back is all. Interesting that the hub and drum are one piece. I bet if you look close at a drum afer it's off that they aren't really one piece, but built like front drums. The studs and center of the hub hold the drum to a flat hub.

The 250-300 ft/lbs is also used for FWD cars, so yes, it comes up a lot!

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.