1950 Packard engine swap ? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Just my opinion....and do as you will, but I looked at the picture in your album. I think that you will be devaluing this car greatly by hot rodding it............Did I say that????.......Anyways...its something you should think about. Unless you do a super clean job of it, the value will go way down.

Advertisement

Budget RVs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Just my opinion....and do as you will, but I looked at the picture in your album. I think that you will be devaluing this car greatly by hot rodding it............Did I say that????.......Anyways...its something you should think about. Unless you do a super clean job of it, the value will go way down.
I just took a look at the car and have to agree.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:17 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

hotrod packard

there is a lot of speed parts for the packard eng. They were one of the moonshiners cars of choice. Make it into a replica midnite runner,thats what I would do.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:32 AM

Last photo:

Personally, I'd keep the straight eight. What size is it? If you have a 288 or 327, the rebuild kits are pretty reasonable. If it's a 356, which I highly doubt judging by the pic in your photo gallery, it can get expensive quick. If you get me the #s off the driver's rear side of the engine, I can tell you exactly what it is. Most likely, a 5 main 288. The best one to have is the 9 main 327 or 1954 359. I'm currently working on a '53 9 main 327, which I plan on putting 4 carbs on, headers, (SBC block hugger headers can be made to fit easily) HEI, (which I've already done on another straight eight) and was thinking of adapting a T56 to it if I can't find an original floor shift top to the Packard trans. All this is going into a 1925 Packard speedster. Oh, and before I forget, I'm also working on a full-flow oil pump conversion for these engines too, which will have a spin on oil filter.

And BTW, the engine weighs 990LBS from pan to air cleaner!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlythegood
Would be nice to get power steering. That is probably going to be a real challenge. I wonder if the kingpins are as strong as a "conventional" front end.... OTG
On a car that heavy, I'm a big fan of the Jaguar suspension up front. It's made for the weight, and it comes as one big subframe. Steering, brakes, and all in one shot. Practically bolts in with a couple of tabs welded onto the frame. You can pick up an XJ6 for cheap on ebay, or stop by the local 'U-Pull It' yard. If I get off my duff soon, I'll post up some pics of the install in my Pontiac.
As for the motor, if it's anything like the Pontiac straight 8, they're only good for about 60,000 miles anyway. The block's so long they tend to sag in the middle after a while and eat main bearings.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:03 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

packart stick shift

the original packard transmissions were very tough and they had a syncro on first gear. I have one with an overdrive in my T bucket it was short and fit ok... a Gm clutch disc use the same spline count.. I remember an article years ago on how to adapt another top shift mechanism onto a packard side shift case...I will probably do that when I restore my Bucket... I found the body in 51 and started on it a few years later,.. It's time to restore it...
Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 AM

Last journal entry: An update
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlythegood
Thanks for all the input. Sorry I couldn't respond sooner. The car has manual steering and kingpins. Would be nice to get power steering. That is probably going to be a real challenge. I wonder if the kingpins are as strong as a "conventional" front end. The input about the 454/th400 is something I haven't given much thought to. Fuel injection would definitely be better, unfortunately I live in the 1960-1970 time frame. Don't know what it would take to put a FI motor in this kind of car.
OTG
I had one of those and hot rodded it in the mid 70's .I actually souped the 327 st. 8 that was in it. Packard rear ends and trannys are famous for their Quality and Strength, a type of American Mercedes Benz ( they were connected later in the piece as it happens).The Packard Front end will be better than anything you swap into it. Parts easy to buy ( look in Hemmings) and King pins are stronger than ball joints. Ball joint front ends were cheaper to make thats why GM went to them in the mid fifties and Mercedes didn't bother until 1972 (!!).
Adapt some really big discs to the front and run either a Dana 60 or Ford 9" or even a GM 12 bolt diff. I always thought about a independent rear from a Jag,but the centers aren't strong enough to handle the weight. An independent rear would give you a Packard Quality ride with modern handling.
Then you could go crazy with a Torque maker engine. Forget horsepower as such, Torque is king with cars!
Yeah,a V10 ,thats what you want. Even an Iron V10 from a Ram would work well.
A power steering set up from a 1980-92 Model W126 Mercedes ( 300SD etc ) will fit well and give really nice steering feel. Mine had power steer but was dead in it's feel.OK for little ol' ladies but hopeless for a 'press on driver' like I was.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryD
As for the motor, if it's anything like the Pontiac straight 8, they're only good for about 60,000 miles anyway. The block's so long they tend to sag in the middle after a while and eat main bearings.
I have to disagree. The Packard straight eight will last a lot longer than 60,000 miles. I've seen cars with over 100,000 documented miles that had no problems in the bearing area. If crank flex is a concern, use the 9 main engine.

As for power steering, I believe that '55-'56 Packard power steering is adaptable to the '48-'50 cars, I know it is for the '51-'54 cars. It's power assist with a ram, and works just fine, I can steer my '56 Patrician around with just one finger. (sitting still, BTW) As for changing out the suspension, I'd keep the original, as the original knee action shocks will give you a better ride than anything modern.

I still vote for hot rodding the original engine and finding a floor shifter for a Packard manual trans and putting that in there, simplest way to go. Oh, and if you do decide to do an engine swap, I'd be interested in the engine and trans.

Last edited by Turbopackman; 04-09-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:16 AM

Last journal entry: An update
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopackman
I have to disagree. The Packard straight eight will last a lot longer than 60,000 miles. I've seen cars with over 100,000 documented miles that had no problems in the bearing area. If crank flex is a concern, use the 9 main engine.

As for power steering, I believe that '55-'56 Packard power steering is adaptable to the '48-'50 cars, I know it is for the '51-'54 cars. It's power assist with a ram, and works just fine, I can steer my '56 Patrician around just find with one finger. (sitting still, BTW) As for changing out the suspension, I'd keep the original, as the original knee action shocks will give you a better ride than anything modern.

I still vote for hot rodding the original engine and finding a floor shifter for a Packard manual trans and putting that in there, simplest way to go. Oh, and if you do decide to do an engine swap, I'd be interested in the engine and trans.
Looks like us "oldies" know what works..ha ha. My 327 had over 120,000 miles on it when I souped it up and it had never been out of the car. In fact it still had the original pistons and bearings(!!) when I ran it.The Packard is a jewel of an engine ,even if you dont run it,keep it safe someplace until you see the light.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

Wasn't familiar with the Packard motor. I kind of assumed they would be built like a tank and hold up though. The Pontiac is the one I've heard the problem with.
I agree that anything you can keep from the original car is the way to go too. Less work and more cool
If I had a motor like the one Turbo's building, I'd put it in anything. That's gonna turn heads. The car won't matter, the motor will take the show!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Bumping this after splitting

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.