1950 Packard engine swap ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 10:45 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1950 Packard engine swap ?

I have a 1950 Packard Super 8 that is all original. I am thinking about dropping a 454/th400/ford 9 in it. I have never seen a hotrodded Packard of this year and was wondering if it would be worth more "upgraded".
Anyone try something like this ?
Thanks
OTG

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Actually doing a Packard swap is rare..Should be easy or as easy as anything like this goes..Just an Opinion but I think either a 472 0r 500 Cad motor would be good in that car..

As far as value the main value is the friends we make and the feelings of success we get..Sometimes we even make a nickel..

Sam
Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

I agree with Sam on the Caddy engine.

Those Packards already look like lead sleds stock. Would be a cool machine.

Wouldn't be as "easy", but have you considered beefing up the drivetrain and hopping up the Packard engine? Probably aren't many off-the-shelf speed parts available, but you could do some port work, maybe convert it to EFI with a fabbed intake and utilize a modified OEM electronic spark from another vehicle. I suppose a lot would hinge on the strength of the bottom end.

Maybe a mild turbo or blower?

Just some ideas in a different direction...
Old 01-23-2008, 03:30 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, the Packards were pretty decent cars, but I don't know how much hot rodding they could take. The transmissions were similar to hydro-matics,very smooth shifting. Don't know how tough they were. Sure as you stuff some big mill in there, the next weakest link is going to show up.

It would definitely be an unusual, unique ride; but I'd be tempted to swap in a whole driveline. Get up to today's stuff and not have to constantly be scrounging parts. Maybe a big Lincoln or Pontiac wagon 455 and driveline......or shoot...with the size of that straight 8, you could put a Viper V-10 in there. That'd be somethin'else.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:16 PM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

Hello OTG- saw a Packard here in Iowa quite a few years back rodded- looked sweet, cannot remember drivetrain but know it wasn't stock- I'll search through pics (but I'm Old Skool and they are prints...!) probably can't find it due to wife's organizational skills, but I'd say do it all and do it right- your idea sounds cool but since not many (or any!) may have done it you are flying alone... take your time and think it out- a newer suspension to handle the power can be put under ANY ride- that has been proven. A big machine + a big powerplant= very KOOL!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 05:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesy
Yeah, the Packards were pretty decent cars, but I don't know how much hot rodding they could take. The transmissions were similar to hydro-matics,very smooth shifting. Don't know how tough they were. Sure as you stuff some big mill in there, the next weakest link is going to show up.

It would definitely be an unusual, unique ride; but I'd be tempted to swap in a whole driveline. Get up to today's stuff and not have to constantly be scrounging parts. Maybe a big Lincoln or Pontiac wagon 455 and driveline......or shoot...with the size of that straight 8, you could put a Viper V-10 in there. That'd be somethin'else.
I have a 454 with a th400 that I was thinking about installing. Wonder how involved the swap will be. I am real concerned with the front end and how to replace the kingpins. Mustang II frontend probably won't be heavy enough.
BTW: I added a pic to my gallary if anyone is interested.
I heard the engine/trans weighs about 1100 pounds. Hmmm a viper V10 would probably be lighter.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:25 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Boy, that car brings back memories. I worked as a teen at a gas station in 68-69, and there was a tiny 85+ yr old lady who came in once a month with a dark metallic green 2 door. WoW what a car.

There must be room for any type of V8 in there. Maybe pull & weigh the old motor & trans if you are concerned?

Get an old MOTORS manual or CHILTONS on Ebay. It should show all the procedures on the front end.

If you are just going to use it around town-ish, maybe keep the front end and just add P/S & P/B??

Follow the old phrase: keep it simple
Old 01-25-2008, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

If the Packard engine and trans actually weighs 1100 pounds (which wouldn't surprise me), almost any modern engine/trans combo would weigh less than that. I'd do some checking on the front end....how well it holds alignment, how quick is the steering,etc. See if anything more modern will interchange, like spindles, hubs, etc. Do some research to see what probs you'd have in converting to disc brakes, or changing steering box for power steering.

At least, rebuild the stock front end, bushings, kingpins, etc.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:21 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

OTG, nice looking car to make into a modern-day cruiser. Whether its worth more converted to a street rod or not is going to depend on the quality and depth you are willing to go with. Also, if you are skillful enough to do most of it your self. At this day and age, I would be reluctant to go with a BBC/TH400/9inch Ford in anything because of the poor fuel economy. I would go toward an EFI/automatic overdrive twisting a 10 bolt. You would get all the performance you need and would enjoy it a lot more. Those old Packards were about the best ride for the buck when they were new so you could do very minor suspension work for a good driver. And unless you are above 40*North, you would want to go with airconditioning.

Great looking car.

Trees
Old 02-01-2008, 07:45 PM

Last photo:

I have seen two Packards made into street rods the last two years, one was just sold through auction and it was an early 50 but not sure if 50,51 or 52 and it had been done right. The only way to do a Packard is first class or it will not be worth much.
At the auction I told the guy I was with that it may go for $50,000 at most and was I wrong! Went for around 130,000 and some guy at least in late 60's bought the thing.

Their is a 40 something model I have seen at a few shows around here, that is just a beautiful car, has a crate Chevy with a blower and the detail in and out is just sweet. He has to have $80,000 into car if he did all the work himself.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesy
If the Packard engine and trans actually weighs 1100 pounds (which wouldn't surprise me), almost any modern engine/trans combo would weigh less than that. I'd do some checking on the front end....how well it holds alignment, how quick is the steering,etc. See if anything more modern will interchange, like spindles, hubs, etc. Do some research to see what probs you'd have in converting to disc brakes, or changing steering box for power steering.

At least, rebuild the stock front end, bushings, kingpins, etc.

Thanks for all the input. Sorry I couldn't respond sooner. The car has manual steering and kingpins. Would be nice to get power steering. That is probably going to be a real challenge. I wonder if the kingpins are as strong as a "conventional" front end. The input about the 454/th400 is something I haven't given much thought to. Fuel injection would definitely be better, unfortunately I live in the 1960-1970 time frame. Don't know what it would take to put a FI motor in this kind of car.
OTG
Old 02-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
I'd be thinking about using a front clip from a Camaro or Chevelle, depending on front track width. You'd have the cooling system, motor mounts, disc brakes, power steering and everything else that would make a nice driver.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

Tech how would you put a front clip on something like this ? The frame in the packard is a heavy figure eight |8| shape channel connected to the beams under the doors from what I can see. Guess I could cut the top off the 8 and add a bolt up for the front clip. This could get ugly real fast .
It would solve the steering problem etc. I keep thinking about the old days when we put ford straight axles in the front ends of belairs.
OTG
Old 02-13-2008, 03:14 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

packards

I put a packard od trans in my t bucket in the late 50's I has never broke. I new guys with 39 ford zepher gears in model A caddy and olds powered and they were always breaking them... a guy told me to find a packard.. It is strong, has a sycronco first gers and the electric shift OD. and is short enough for the T
Old 02-14-2008, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
I put a packard od trans in my t bucket in the late 50's I has never broke. I new guys with 39 ford zepher gears in model A caddy and olds powered and they were always breaking them... a guy told me to find a packard.. It is strong, has a sycronco first gers and the electric shift OD. and is short enough for the T
I heard the trans weighs more than a volkswagon. The guy I purchased this one from said the trans was completely overhauled. Cost a fortune because they had to fabricate the parts. Interesting thing.. I fould a 6v elec fuel pump in the frame. Wonder if he had gas delivery issues .. hmmm
Maybe this is why the boat can't get out of its own way.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.