Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1950 truck frame swap to 1980's chevy frame
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1950truck
Thanks for your insight I starting to believe that that is the way to go. I just need to find a car or truck with the right track width. I know the 80's corvette suspensions work very well BUT! they are so expensive. Maybe I can find another vehicle with the same track width simular to the corvette's
that wont be so expensive.

Thanks again for your help.
You are talking about the 84-96 Corvette C4 suspension I would guess. For what you get with them, there is no better bang for the buck. I buy them for around $600.00-$700.00 per end and you get 4 wheel disc brakes, posi, rack and pinion steering, aluminum a-arms and other suspension parts and composite springs. I have done many conversions to this suspension and it always works out great if you have a wide enough vehicle such as yours. The conversion is easier on trucks also, especially the rear end.

I also have done the frame swap routine. I put a 36 Chev p/u cab on a mid 70's Chevrolet 1 ton extended cab frame. The owner then had a hydraulic dump flatbed deck built. The cab fit with minimal modifcation to sheetmetal and just had to build body mounts and radiator support. It turned out excellent. I then installed off the shelf lowering parts to get the stance. It had a 454, Turbo 400 and A/C too!

Andy