1951 mercury frame help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Mercury Man

Wiki Edits: 0

1951 mercury frame help

I need help rebuilding my 1951 mercury.I just have the body. So i need to know what frame to put under it . I hope to keep it in the ford fam but i am open to all ideas. I wood like to get up and move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Dodge ain't all bad

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

blacklightcharlie
First things first, you need to square up your body and git some measurements, first find the center location of the fenders where the wheels will sit under and measure for the center to center 0----0 in inches, this way you will know your wheel base. l--"--l

You want them to be in the correct center of your fenders.
Now that you have your wheel base in inches you need to figure out how wide your wheel tracks are in the frontend and the rearend, generally they will be the same width, there can be some adjustment with your wheel backspacing to help this. This measurement will probably be about 56" to about 58 1/2", and probably closer to 56".
Next you need to look under the body and locate where the body sits over the frame that you don't have, and measure between the underside of the body where your frame will sit, this may be diffierent than your body and can be off a ways but you don't want your measurement to be wider than your body can sit on. You can always adapt your frame some to fit the body but it can be a pain to try making the frame not as wide, there are alot of vehicles out there that will come close to fitting but if you stay all ford you will limit your choices, try a ford ranger pickup just stay away from the ranger engine and trany there garbage.
Once you get your measurements you need to hit the wrecking yards and start measuring vehicles and find the one that fits as close as you can and figure you will have to do some changes on it no mater what you do.
Good luck and welcome to the board and don't be afraid of asking questions here there are alot of people here with a vast amount of knowledge.
30dee
Old 02-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

1951 mercury frame help

About 20 years ago I remember talking to a friend who was thinking about using a Pontiac Lemans frame on his 51 merc convertible. Apparently it would work really well. He saw an article in one of the rod mags of the day. I think the article was by a "famous" customizer. He actually contacted him and talked to him about how to go about doing the swap. One thing he found out was that the magazine had failed to note that the frame needed to be shortened 3". Does anybody have that article?

A 1973 Buick Le Sabre frame was used on this merc. It is the one called Midnight's Dream. Second one of the sold pictures. Not a lot of information but you go out and measure one up a junk yard.

http://www.greaterdakotaclassics.com...gs/mercury.htm

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.