1953 Buick Sub Frame Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 03:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1953 Buick Sub Frame Question

Hello All, I have recently been forced due to financial reasons sell my beloved 57 Chevy that I raised from a pup, it was a done car and I will miss it dearly but moving on I have found a 1953 Buick special 2 door hard top project to occupy my time. My question is this, I would like to install a Camaro sub frame in it and was checking to see if anyone else had already completed such a project and could offer any suggestion on how to proceed. I do not have the sub frame yet so if you think of a better match for a donor car than a Camaro let me know that as well. I have installed Camaro subs in other car and that was my reason for the choice. I live in Southeastern PA so if you know of any good old car junkyard let me know that as well. I have just brought the car home and not yet even measure the wheel base or track width so I am only guessing the Camaro will work. And help you could give would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Andy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 08:15 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

I am curious as to why you want to install a Camaro subframe? Why not just rebuild the Buick front suspension? The Buick suspension gives a very comfortable ride and handles well for the type/style of driving you would be doing with that car. What, if any, advantage is there to swapping to the Camaro subframe?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:28 PM

I was thinking for the upgrades modern suspension with disc brakes and power steering. The factory suspension is kingpin, drum brakes and manual steering. By the time I rebuild it and hunt down the power assist unit and hoses if one is available, the cost would by far and away more then me rebuilding a mid 70ís Camaro sub frame and reaping all the benefits in one shot.
Thanks for you reply
Andy
Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

If your going to go with a clip,The Nova is a little narrower,Then the Camaro..
Old 08-04-2009, 02:31 PM

I had thought about using the nova clip but the front steering of the Camaro sub makes it easier for header clearance, I have still not gotten around to measuring my track width but I donít think the Camaro is too wide for the Buick, I also thought about using the S10 front because it is front steer and narrower than the Camaro.
Thanks for you reply
Andy

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.