Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1953 Chevy Truck Vin Help
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 06:42 PM

Last journal entry: Super Charger Finished Product
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1953 Chevy Truck Vin Help

I bought a 1953 Chevy Truck in Oragan. Sent my Dad up there with a trailer to pick it up.

Did the paper work at the DMV with the title but the DMV said I need to have the Truck weight and the vin checked.

I took the Truck to the DMV after getting it weighed and they could not read the old vin tag.

The Truck had a front end clip put in years ago and I can not find any other numbers on the frame. The vin number on the tag as I read it is
H53S 010922. The vin on the Title is LBM227150

After doing a search on the internet I landed on The Stovebolt Page site and his site side this.

If you were fortunate enough to have a good title for your new purchase, great! It might even have a VIN listed (or a "serial number." But while most states titled vehicles by the VIN, some states titled by the engine serial number (found stamped in the block to the left of the distributor), which doesn't have much to do with the body serial number. As most old trucks have had the engine replaced once or twice, your title may not match your engine (if it has been replaced) and your title uses an engine number.

Advance-Design ('47-'54) and later trucks should have a plate located on the left front door post. The GVW is stamped as 46 (hundred pounds) on the '40's trucks. Don't confuse this as being the year of the truck. The serial number is not stamped on the frame of '30's, '40's, and early '50's trucks. It may be on the frame of late '50's trucks near the steering box.

Many of these plates were just screwed on from the factory (not riveted in the older trucks), and sometimes have been removed. Reproduction blank plates are sometimes available to replace lost or damaged plates. You have to stamp your own numbers on them.

Any ideas what I can do to get this truck though DMV? I want to tear it down but not before I get this title issue resolved.

H E L P P L E A S E

Last edited by Homeseller; 02-02-2006 at 06:48 PM.