Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   1953 ford f100 drivetrain swap (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/1953-ford-f100-drivetrain-swap-220822.html)

dusterbd 06-21-2012 07:07 PM

1953 ford f100 drivetrain swap

so im helping a friend of mine out. hes a bodyman, and is redoing a 53 ford pickup. keeping stock chassis. converting the front to disc brakes, plumbing, and adding a 302/auto combo for him. in exchange, hes painting my daily/GRM challenge car.

anyway, i have a question that google has not been able to answer for me.

im getting just the bare frame, that has been sandblasted and painted. reassembling the suspension and doing the brakes is no problem. did that before on my 54 flatbed.
problem is, theres no motor mounts, and no body. so how do i know where to locate the motor? does anyone have any dimensions for me? if someone could tell me how far, relative to an easily repeateble point, top place the end of the crank snout, i can do the rest.

were using the speedway engine and trans mounts ffor this truck.

also, since i am NOT a ford guy.....

what factory distributor should i use? the motor is out of a 92 mustang, withn an edelbrock intake and a carter carb. distributor is still the EFI one (motor was purchased with full EFI setup, but he didnt want that. he want a carb. and yes, i tried to talk him into EFI.)
also, well be using a c6 automatic behind it (again, tried to talk him into an AOD, but he wants a 3 speed....) what do i do for kickdown linkage?
im mostly a mopar/subaru guy, so please point me in the right direction.

thanks
Michael

Canzus 06-28-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dusterbd (Post 1567350)
problem is, theres no motor mounts, and no body. so how do i know where to locate the motor? does anyone have any dimensions for me?

I don't have a dimension, but if you mount the notch in the oil sump over the front axle,
you'll be close to the correct measurement for fore/aft position, but as a warning, DO NOT
BUTCHER THE CROSSMEMBER AT THE ORGINAL BELLHOUSING
MOUNT...
Just raise the engine/tranny, level it using the carb mounting on the intake, build a trans mount
and you're done...

Quote:

also, since i am NOT a ford guy.....

what factory distributor should i use? the motor is out of a 92 mustang, withn an edelbrock intake and a carter carb.

1985 Mustang GT with a 5L HO (4bbl carb) Has the steel gear you'll need for the roller cam,
and a vac advance as well. O'reilly Part # 30-2831 Also, you'll need a module to run the ignition...

Quote:

also, well be using a c6 automatic behind it (again, tried to talk him into an AOD, but he wants a 3 speed....) what do i do for kickdown linkage?
im mostly a mopar/subaru guy, so please point me in the right direction.

thanks
Michael

Does the carb have the Ford kickdown lever? I'd probably opt for the Lokar(sp?) cable...

PS: Sorry you had to wait this long for an answer to your really simple questions, but such things
happen when the smart guys get chased off by certain moderators...