1953 Motor Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 07:22 AM

Last journal entry: Almost ready
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1953 Motor Question

I have a 1953 Chevy 3100 and I keep changing my mind on if I should put a different engine in it or keep the stock 6 cycinder in it. I would of course rebuild it. I'm really just looking for a cruiser and maybe a few times a week driving it to work and school. Does anyone have any opinions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Welcome to Hotrodder's Jon. A hint about thread titles to get best response - put plenty of info or a catchy title so readers are drawn to open it. Something on the order of "Should I keep my 1953 straight 6?" would have piqued my interest a lot more than the title you chose.

In answer to your question, by all means go with a straight 6. I put a tricked out 235 in my '53 pickup with a 200r4 OD tranny and 3:54 rear gears.

Love it. See more of my truck here. However, if you have the original 235 I highly recommend replacing it with a 1954-1963 235. In fact your truck may already have the newer engine (mine did when I bought it) since that was a very common swap back in the day. The reason for the seemingly silly swap is because the 235s from 1953 back did not have pressure lubricated rod bearings! They had dippers on the bottom of the rods that scooped oil out of the pan to lube rod bearings. Run low on oil and spin a rod. The 1954 and later engines have a modern full pressure oiling system and are rock solid. In fact, when GM stopped producing the 235 in 1964 they sold the production tools to Toyota which produced and installed the same 235 (w/ metric fasteners I presume) in the Land Cruiser way up into the '80s! Rumor has it that they even cast all the GM ID markings on the iron parts for the duration.

Last edited by willys36@aol.com; 07-11-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBlair
I have a 1953 Chevy 3100 and I keep changing my mind on if I should put a different engine in it or keep the stock 6 cycinder in it. I would of course rebuild it. I'm really just looking for a cruiser and maybe a few times a week driving it to work and school. Does anyone have any opinions?
Louisville, isn't that home of the Fighting Farmers?

Unfortunatly, I'm not a fan of 6 cylindered engines. The one you're looking at is not a good choice even for a 6. They just were never designed for todays driving. So I'd never consider it for a daily driver. A restoration where it's
only occasionally used would be fine, but a daily driver I think is asking a lot for the distances and speeds you need to get from point A to B and back.

If you wanted to retain the visual integrity of the truck, new inline Chevy/GMCs will bolt right in and offer modern engine amenities like full pressue lubrication and full flow oil filtration. As well, the 250 and 292 have a numerous hot rod industry behind them supplying manifolds, cams, high compression pistons, etc. which allow you the option of improving power and efficiency of the inline.

Bogie
Old 07-13-2008, 10:34 AM

Last journal entry: Almost ready
Last photo:

Thats great advice for the truck and posting! Thank you very much!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.