1954 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup brake lights - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2010, 10:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

1954 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup brake lights

As I wait for my master cylinder to show up, I decided to trace out the brake light problem I have...they just don't light. I checked the fuse (good) and have 12v at both sides. I checked the brakelight switch and have 12v there, too. Continuity checks on the posts of the brakelight switch showed that the switch is working when the pedal is depressed. I even switched the connections on the posts and still no brake lights. I know that the brake signal is also supposed to go through the turn signal switch that is located on the steering column. Making things more confusing, that switch seems to be stuck on left turn. So I unplugged the flasher relay. Long story short, can the turn signal switch be the culprit for the nonoperative brake lights. Any recommendations, wiring diagrams or help any of you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Last edited by latebloomer; 06-03-2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 02:55 PM

Last journal entry: 41 chevy frame on the move.
Last photo:

Yes the signal light switch could be causeing your problem.Remember one will be canceled out when the other is on.Like on a left turn you only have a right hand brake light work .Vise versa for the other side,.
stefanP
Old 06-11-2010, 12:19 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

yellow and light green for stop/turns

brown for all tails and running and license lights

canceling out is importanrt and hard to explain but its all in the turn signal switch contacts

having real good grounds at all lights is important too or it will be screwy

no such thing as too much ground for the lighting system components....
Old 06-12-2010, 09:39 AM

Brake lights figured out, now signals

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I finally figured it out though. The wiring from the brake switch never went back to the taillights, so I tapped off the white wire and ran it back. Now I have brake lights! The signal switch is broken now so I'm going to buy a whole new cup/switch assembly. I know I'll run into problems though because I'm not sure of the wiring configuration for a 3-prong flasher (which is shown in the schematic). Tracing it out, as far as I can tell the yellow wire off of the turn switch comes into one post of the flasher. A black and pink line come off the flasher as well, but it's hard to tell where they go. If anyone has acces to "wiring diagram 986937 directional signal" and can help out it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-12-2010, 09:49 AM

Wiring diagram

To make it easier, I found the wiring diagram and have provided the link...the diagram I'm talking about is on page 6. Thanks in advance. http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com...ruckwiring.pdf

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.