Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1954 chevy 210
Thread: 1954 chevy 210
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
I personally think that isn't very strong at all being it looks like water pipe which bends darn easy. But on the same respect I think it's overkill to support the body up like that. The ones in the trunk are going to do next to nothing. If you have any worries at all, trial fit the doors and the trunk before you weld it all up.
What you should be focusing on is the body being supported off the floor so it doesn't bend the supports going across the body that are holding the thing up.

The rockers at the cowl and the quarter being supported are what is most important. If you are cutting out the rockers, yeah something going across is a good idea of course. But it is not absolutely necessary. Supporting the body from falling down over the frame is WAY more important. Trial fitting the doors while you are replacing rockers is a given, be sure you do that.

I personally would do none of that bracing. I would measure across the door jamb and from side to side before I began so I know what I am working with.

That measurement would be checked throughout the project and that would be it. And I have to tell you I doubt very much it would move if you supported the body at the cowl and quarter. If it did, I'd move it to where it needs to be and weld it up.

Trying to work around all that stuff would be a major pain.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 04-29-2012 at 10:36 PM.