1954 chevy disc conversion?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2002, 03:25 PM
No Bodies does it better

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post 1954 chevy disc conversion??

Does anyone know where I can get disc brake conversion for a 54 chevy? It's a pretty nice car just want to madernize it in the brake and suspension

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2002, 02:59 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

Go to http://www.mpbrakes.com . They have what you need.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:42 PM
CORNFED and INBRED !?!

Speedway motors has a much more economical disc kit for your car. I believe this kit uses ordinary GM rotors and calipers for inexpensive replacement when things wear out. I wouldn't recommend this as an allout performance braking system, but, it should be a big improvement over stock!
Old 02-17-2003, 12:23 PM

I just finished putting disc brakes on the front of my '50... I have done a lot of research on this. Most aftermarket disc brake conversion kits use the early 70's Chevelle rotor and caliper, and a sleve for the spindle. They also move your track width out .75 inches on either side. You can buy whole kits for 500 bucks that include rotors and everything, or partial kits that include just the mounting brackets and sleves. There are several companies selling drop spindles for 49-54 chevys, too.

Buffalo Engineering has a solution that does not interfere with the track width, and includes a drop in height, but you have to ship him your spindles and uprights. He uses the chevelle rotors, too.

Then you can do what I did... the " get low fo' no dough " route. It started when a friend gave me an old set of caliper mounts he had from a '49 truck. I re-drilled them to fit the car spindles, and then I got rotors and calipers from a buddie's junkyard, found a machine shop that made me a pair of sleves (free! 'cuz we got talking cars... I bought lunch, and in the end we just shook hands and said "see ya on Woodward"). Then I got uprights from a '53 off the internet for a few bucks (they sit lower than the ones on a 49-52) and put it all together. I also cut one and a third coils from the fromt springs for a total drop of 3". I had my sleve custom made so as to not change the track width, but I had to grind away the inner edge of the rotor and shave a little of the steering arm to get the clearance.

If I had it to do over, I'd save up my money and go with the Bufflao Engineering setup. Still, I can say that I did it myself, but it took me a while to do it. Spent less than a hundred though!
Stretch

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.