Hot Rod Forum banner

1954 Desoto Firedome carb

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  MouseFink 
#1 ·
I'm working on a 1954 Desoto Firedome Hemi and it looks like I'll need to re-built the carb which has been damaged from using ethanol.

The triangular thin metal tag attached to the Carter carb identifies it as '2250S' while this site specs a 2070 or 2131 carb and does list a 2250 for a 1952 Desoto. All are BBD models, however. Is this a case of one-size-fits-all carb kits?

Now I know why restorers always seem so crazy.

The fuel pump needs re-building as well. Have no idea where to start with that.

Any advice appreciated.

#4 ·
I'm stuck at the shop until my buddy picks me up at 9pm (he's late). My wife's 2011 Flex is at the dealer's for an extended visit; she's driving my car and she's at work right now.

The Desoto is not running, has multiple problems and is blocking the only way in and out to the rest of my shop. It is here now because the owner, who lives in Florida, was in town and was upset the car would not start. She's been a great friend since high school, so I wasn't going to tell her "no" no matter how inconvenient is was for me.

I'll be here without a drivable car again tomorrow, so if I am able to get any parts, I need to get them on the way in when my friend drives me on his way to work, otherwise I need to order them ASAP so I can fix the car and move it out of the way to get to the other projects. I'm under a deadline on another car but am waiting on parts that won't get here until next week. I also have another business that will require my complete attention for the July 4th weekend, so I need to get the Desoto as far along as I can NOW.

I focus on pre-1940 streetrod vehicles, so I'm just not familiar with more "modern" cars and certainly not familiar at all with chasing OEM parts and re-build kits for mid-50s MOPARs. This job is just a little out of my comfort zone and I thought I could look to this forum for some support.

I did not realize that I need your approval to ask questions nor provide so much personal and irrelevant information to receive your help, but as odd as that seems, it appears so.

Thanks for the advice you have provided.

#9 ·
Is this a case of one-size-fits-all carb kits?
In all likelihood, yes. Many carb kits are packaged to fit a variety of different carb numbers. The differences between the same model carb having different carb numbers are often minor to nonexistent; it's often only the adjustment specs that differ (found in the paperwork included in the kit). That way the kit makers can keep the number of part numbers to a minimum.

That all said, there may be parts contained in the kit that do not pertain to your particular carb. So if you end up w/some extras, that's not necessarily reason to worry.

#10 ·

I know this thread is old but I'm reaching out to any one who has worked on a desoto. I'ts my first build and I'm trying to be preemptive about gathering information. I already have the shop manual and some reference points but any kind of information, such as what gremlins to prepare for or maybe solutions to hard to find pieces. I'm already on the hunt for the ever elusive spark plug wire covers with FireDome written on them. and would love to find out how the build on this post ended up.

#15 ·
My friend Ginny (shown here driving) actually just has "custody" of the car. Her mom still owns it. Ginny's grandfather purchased the car new and sold it to her dad a few years later. Since her dad's passing, Ginny is the caretaker of the car for her siblings.

It's difficult to believe that these cars in nice shape still only go for about $14,000.

#17 ·
My wife owned a 1956 deSoto Firedome V8 in October 1967 when we got married. That car was equipped with a 45 RPM record player and a push-button automatic transmission. I filled the back seat and trunk with old Hot Rod magazines and abandoned it behind our first rent house. The 1956 DeSoto was in perfect shape too. I had a new 1967 Firebird 400 convertible and did not want the DeSoto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.