Hot Rod Forum banner

1955 Chevy Pickup and 1978 Camaro Subframe

56K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  WriterDennis 
#1 ·
Ok, I know this is asked alot, but last year when i was researching on this fourm, I read that the frame of my 1955 (2nd Series) Truck was the same width as the 78' Camaro Subframe (My sub is actually a Firebird Formula - Should be the same as a Trans Am as it held a 400 Pontiac motor)
My Plan is to run the 400ci pontiac in the truck, with the whole front subframe assembly. I cant seem to find the old information I had about the Formula Firebirds Subframe being the same width as the 1955 2nd-1959 frame, Anyone have the information im looking for? If so thanks. I know that its easier to put in a MII setup, but i already have the firebird formula and want the 400 CI pontiac motor in the truck, I want something unique i guess... anyways, If you have ANY information regarding 1955 2nd series (or any year with the same frame) and a 1975-1981 Subframe being grafted to it, I would LOVE to have it Thanks alot - Jacob

#2 ·
Its not that unique I know many people with a firebird front clip. It should be the same as the camaro. I personally like the Monte Carlo better, because the width is a little smaller. If you never done this before but have welding experience go to http://www.nolimit.net/ they sell a video showing you how to graft a GM clip on a 1955-1959 Chevy truck frame. I think the video is only 34.95

Good Luck

#4 ·
Ditto on the Monte. Here is a photo essay on how I did the deed on a '57 which is the same frame as your '55 (I assume it is the late '55 and not the Advance Design model). Monte clip fits like it was made for the truck. I don't like how the Camaro sub frames fit - they scab on the bottom of the pickup rails and look it. The Monte rails merge perfectly into the pickup rails and with some cosmetic care, it is difficult to tell it isn't stock!

Look here. Starts at the bottom of the page.

#5 ·
Firebird Subframe

I know the firebird subframe is the same or as the camaro, but not alot of people use the 400 ci Pontiac engine in there Chevy Pickups, It is the 1955-59 Task Force modle truck
Also - I am not too worried about how the subframe looks crawling underneath the original frame, Im not going to try and hide the fact that I customized the truck Thanks- Jacob

#6 ·
Firebird front clip v. Mustang II

Hello, It seems to me that you are pretty set on grafting a front clip from a firebird to your 55 chevy. I work at Foley Bros. Custom Works in Redwood City California and I would like to suggest using a Heidts Mustang II crossmember. The end result would be MUCH cleaner and would utilize a rack and pinion as opposed to a steering box, for what in my opinion is a much cleaner look. Obviously your firebird clip is cheaper because you already have it, however by shopping around you can very easily put together an entire Mustang II kit for around 1500 dollars. I have a 1952 1/2 ton that I put Mustang II in, it is very clean and i didn't have to butcher my 47,000 mile vehicle to install it. I just thought i'd throw that in there so that you have more options. Good Luck!

#7 ·
Subframing

I have done 3 2nd series trucks so far. First was a 55 panel and the others were 58 and 59 pickups. I use 1/2 ton, 2wd mid 80's suburban chassis' for the donor. I cut the donor behind the trans crossmember, and the project truck just behind the fron cab mounts. These frames literally slide together. I also take the rear diff, springs and perch mount and they line up perfect on the 2nd series frame. I know most guys use cars as a donor but I've always done it this way. Works well.

#9 ·
I am new to this sport and have a 55 2nd series and want to change the clip. I have access to a 81 el camino for next to nothing. Is this a good candidate? If not, what year Monte Carlo's are recommended. Does anybody have any good pics of the Monte conversion?

#17 ·
I payed $300 for the sub frame a few weeks ago and bought the video for around 40 bucks I think. I would like to get my $300 bucks back and will throw in the video. The sub has everything except for the power steering box as far as I can tell.

I can be contacted via e-mail at jeffhickl@earthlink .net
or office
281-441-9595
home
281-572-2420

thanks
Jeff Hickl

#24 ·
Update, some pics of a camaro/firebird subframe after grafting...

I found my old post by accident through google and thought I should post a few pictures about how my camaro graft turned out.
I used the No-Limit Engineering (google them if u need to) video to help me through the process was not as difficult as i expected...
anyways I don't have the progress pictures available but here are some shots of the aftermath while i was installing my 400ci Pontiac in the truck...

sorry the pictures are not the clearest but its all i have on this computer...
you can see between the suspension and the cab from the outside all you see is one weld line, the front is a little more messy grafting the a-symmetrical firebird nose to the original truck rails for radiator support and bumper brackets

As nice as mustang II setups are, this setup cost me less than $200 to have bushings replaced, and some hours on the install... some people may not already have a donor car but I bought a second subframe for another graft project for $100 - anyways this method can be easily tackled (if you can do the cutting/welding) for less than $500 - as opposed to $1500+

if i was rich, I would buy the MII but I made do with what i had....

enjoy!

#25 ·
Subframe

I have also grafted a transam subframe to my 57 pickup. the question I have is how did you mount the radiator support frame to the clip? Did you cut the subframe tips? I am also having problems aligning the front fenders with the front of the clip. any help would be greatly appreciated.

#26 · (Edited)
I have also grafted a transam subframe to my 57 pickup. the question I have is how did you mount the radiator support frame to the clip? Did you cut the subframe tips? I am also having problems aligning the front fenders with the front of the clip. any help would be greatly appreciated.
See the tab welded to the frame horn in front of the steering gear at the very bottom right in this picture. Ignore the red arrow in the picture. It is the radiator support tab cut from the '57 frame and welded to the new frame. Amazingly I thought ahead and had taken XYZ measurements of the location of these tabs before I cut up the old frame. That foresight rarely happens in my world!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.