Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   1955 chevy pickup seat swap (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/1955-chevy-pickup-seat-swap-189430.html)

aldyablo 12-21-2010 06:51 AM

1955 chevy pickup seat swap

Would anyone know what bench seat with intergrated seat belts will fit a 1955 2nd generation. My truck have a bench looking seat with a center that folds, wich is ok but NO seat belts and we have a 4 year old boy that is looking forward to ride this truck.

timothale 12-21-2010 07:47 AM

seat belt install

If you like your present seats, just add belts. . you can buy seat belt kits, or find an older van donor and you need a larger anchor plate or reinforcement on the under side of the floor pan. Back in the 50's car clubs did a free installation of add on seat belts on a couple week ends to Improve the hot rodding image

aldyablo 12-21-2010 02:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
the seat is fine but it looks like I can only put lap belts, he is in a booster seat and you have to have a 3 point harness for it to be safe and legal. If I can find a seat with the intergrated 3 point seat belt that will fit I'll be in good shape. I thought I have seen an article about a 00 GM seat that should fit, but I cannot find this article.

ogre 12-22-2010 02:31 PM

3 pt belts don't fit well in these big back window trucks with a 2'' wide b pillar
i looked at all sorts when i chose my seats, even to adding structure in the b pillar
it wouldn't have looked right, so i just use lap belts.

try looking into convertible seats, most have the shoulder belt in the seat back
but also most are buckets with a console.
some gm truck seats have the intergrated shoulder belt in the seat, but probably too wide for your use.
even then they would not have a shoulder belt in the middle seat.

aldyablo 12-23-2010 07:46 AM

Ogre, I went to the salvage yard with a tapemeasure and found out exactly what you mentioned, the 00 chevy seat with intergrated seatbelts(only the outside seats are shoulder belts) is too wide so it won't fit, but I looked at a newer ford pickup (maybe 05) that should fit, it's got the same setup like a chevy exept the center seatbelt is mounted to the cab (I can probably convert it to lapbelt) Is it safe to drill in the floorboard of my truck to mount a new seat?

ogre 12-23-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldyablo
Is it safe to drill in the floorboard of my truck to mount a new seat?

when ever i add seat belt, i add a 3x3 plate under the floor
on my truk i had a reinforced channel that the stock seat attached to, i added 1/4x1x3 plates under the channel

for the center seat; add a center belt/restraint like they add for newer cars by welding a 4x6 10 gage plate
on the back of the cab with a belt attachment to keep the car seat from tilting forward.

will any of this protect you in a 60mph crash? no, but you won't have legs or a chest cavity anyway :eek:

aldyablo 01-02-2011 09:43 PM

Lowering spindles

Well! after one TOO many trips to the salvage with a tape measure, pen, and a paper :smash: I think I am buying a front seat out of a 2005 ford truck with the intergrated seat belts. I will post how the install went with some pics when done. I have another question now :confused: I would like to lower the front about 2 inches to match the back but how do I know what front end on it (the previus owner doesn't know either, he thinks it's a camaro) I would like to install lowering spindles. I called the parts store intown to see if they offer them for a camaro, but they need to know what year since they have to order them and they won't return a special order :nono: .

Thanks