Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 1955 corvette
Thread: 1955 corvette
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 03:43 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1955 corvette

I am working on a 55 corvette. The door panels are in poor shape, and I am currently repairing the fiberglass before I cover them. I am trying to make them as close to original as possible. The pleated portions are no problem, I have the long arm sewing machine to sew the heavy thread right to the panels, like the factory and it appears 1/4 sew foam will do the trick. The thread looks to be size 277. The "smooth" portion of the panel appears to have been padded with cotton? What material should I cover this with, prior to wrapping. I can't tell from pics if it should appear "hard" like closed cell, or soft like open cell foam. I am also looking for the screw washers that appear to be inserted into the panel and kick panels, that are about 1/4 tall and look like the backs may have been bent out slightly with an anvil or die so that they stay in place. I can make the tooling if I can find the washers. I feel a little ignorant about the foam....but I can't find another 53-55 Vette around to look at. Any help is appreciated, Jeremy.