1955 Fairlane Frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2005, 06:02 PM
1955 Fam Sedan

Last journal entry: I FOUND IT!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1955 Fairlane Frame

I have a 1955 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan. I've stripped everything off of her and she's ready to come off of her frame. I would love to chop her top, shorten her rpms a bit with a 6 out of a 64 Falcon, and replace the frame with something less petite since she's probably going to want to shift a bit after her top's cropped. I was pondering where I could find an inseam to fit her 114.5? I was hoping for something off of a smaller truck maybe.

I appreciate your input.
Tincanman

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2005, 06:31 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

why would you replace a larger engine ( think it would be 225 if I6, 312 if V8 ) with a 170 I6? you would have a dog. the stock frame can be worked wonders by adding modern suspension tecnology to it.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:24 PM
1955 Fam Sedan

Last photo:

engine

The reason why I want to put the 200 in is because it will save me a lot of money. I already have worked over the entire engine and put a lot of money into it. I would like to have it running again. I am not looking for power here- just something to cruise with.

I would love to keep the same frame but with room for more, she's a 4dr, I need a little more stability.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:24 PM

Last photo:

Are you shure the Falcon 6 is a 200? if it is a '64 Falcon origional motor it would be a 170. you can count the freeze plugs to be shure, 3 ( or 4, can't remember ) and it is a 200, but 2 or less and it is a 170 or smaller, even a 200 is awful small for a big car like that, you might regret using it because it is undersized for the vehicle, and wouldn't be very economical and underpowered. I don't think your gonna want to go with a diffrent frame, the stock frame would be fine if you improved it, get a new front clip ( I don't know what is out there that will fit the frame, maby a Impala front clip from a 1970's Impala or somthing, nova clip maby ) and a new rear suspension, you should be able to get away with the stock leafs tho, 4 link might do good, your better off reworking your stock frame than finding a new 1 and making it fit.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:05 PM

Last photo:

55 Ford fairlane

Hi,
If it were me I would go to a 300 6 they are almost indestructable but that is me I am putting a 5.0 in my wagon
Old 10-16-2005, 10:32 PM
1955 Fam Sedan

Last photo:

engine 'n' frame

I really appreciate the input. Thanks. I had the engine rebored to be 200. Her frame needs a lot of tlc if I were to use her's. But, knowing the consequence of chopping the top of a 4dr, I need to get a better frame. There's still a lot of rust on the bones and I would prefer to seek for something more secure. I was hoping that I might find a smaller to mid size truck.

I would love to use the original engine but there's a lot of work that will have to be spent on it. I was hoping that a newer frame, the chopped top and a smaller engine would promise better performance. Every penny counts, so to speak. I'm shedding the original Vent system which will lighten the beast a bit more and hoping that the trans. from the Falcon to be a bit lighter than the original.

In all reality, this tiny tug is going from a 2800 pound setup to 3000-3100. There really shouldn't be a huge problem with the smaller engine performing as well as I think it would be able to. Needless to say, I'm not going drag racing with this babe. She's all for, uh... show. lol

What'r your thoughts?
Old 10-17-2005, 05:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriveatincan
I really appreciate the input. Thanks. I had the engine rebored to be 200. Her frame needs a lot of tlc if I were to use her's. But, knowing the consequence of chopping the top of a 4dr, I need to get a better frame. There's still a lot of rust on the bones and I would prefer to seek for something more secure. I was hoping that I might find a smaller to mid size truck.

I would love to use the original engine but there's a lot of work that will have to be spent on it. I was hoping that a newer frame, the chopped top and a smaller engine would promise better performance. Every penny counts, so to speak. I'm shedding the original Vent system which will lighten the beast a bit more and hoping that the trans. from the Falcon to be a bit lighter than the original.

In all reality, this tiny tug is going from a 2800 pound setup to 3000-3100. There really shouldn't be a huge problem with the smaller engine performing as well as I think it would be able to. Needless to say, I'm not going drag racing with this babe. She's all for, uh... show. lol

What'r your thoughts?
I don't see what concequences chopping the top will make on the frame stability?, it changes the center of gravity to a lower spot on the car, making it more stabile. If you do what I said to the original frame, you will be happy with the results. it is not gonna matter if you have the original frame with modern technology or a diffrent frame with modern technology, it is going to be the same.

If the trans is automatic, and original to the Falcon it is probably the Fordomatic or as some will say ( and it has good reasoning ) the Fordocrapic, it is a 2spd and to get them to shift to 2nd, you have to let off the gas a little, then it will shift.

Trust me, you might want to rethink your plans on the entire build, especially if you have not chopped a top b4, tops like that are rarely choped because there colplicated chops, then that motor, might merely be adaquate for the car. the car as it sits is around 2 ton ( 4,000 pounds ), way more than the 2,800 you were estimating, that is lighter than the Falcon your getting the motor from, that is the avrage weight for a modern fwd 4cyl car. the motor that came in your car if 6cyl is a 223 I6, that made 120 horse, if it is a 8cyl it is a 272 V8 that made 162 horse. assuming that the bored out 170 is making what a stock 200 makes ( I doubt it, the bores arn't the only diffrences ) which is 125 horse, even then the motor makes less torque which is what moves the car, this is due to the 223's longer stroke. all in all with your bored 170, it will be pushing it weather it is adaquate or not. Oh and when you say " the chopped top and a smaller engine would promise better performance. " hows that work? The chop ain't gonna do a thing for performance other than lower the center of gravity making it handle shightly better, and a smaller motor will get better performance??? The saying always goes " No replacement for displacement " or simply, if ya want more power get a bigger engine ( and NOT a smaller 1 ). I'd go with a 302 from a junkyard, hook it to an AOD and you would have a cheap cruiser.

As for the bored 200, there is a project that will better suite it.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:02 PM
1955 Fam Sedan

Last photo:

Engine/frame

I know what you mean by crapomatic. The 64 Falcon was my very first car. I have to appologize, though, because I am under the impression that chopping the top means to lowwwwwer the roof. What I meant was to totally strip it off and get rid of it. I've always wanted a convertable, but have always had a large family- hense the 4dr sedan and falcon.

The reason why I am looking for a newer, more reliable frame is because the one that is under her right now is unsalvagable. I'm not positive, but I think by shedding the roof, and replacing the frame will lighten things up a bit.

On the issue of the 200, thank you for the input. I appreciate it a lot. I think that I will hold off on engine work for now. I just need to get the body off of the original frame and find something that is salvagable.

Tincanman
Old 10-17-2005, 06:13 PM
1955 Fam Sedan

Last photo:

Caprice/Crown Vic?

What do you think? Would it work for me to shove a newer- say, 1992 Caprice or Crown Victoria Frame under her. They both have frames which are within 2" of the 115.5 that I need for a wheel base and a bit wider than what I already have.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

contact http://www.rockymountainrelics.com or other well known classic car junk yard. get the frame if it is cheap enough, you will be better off with a stock frame than trying to modify the frame from a truck, especially a light truck, which an s10 frame would be the only option and wou would need a longbed frame for the correct length and even then, I think you might need to lengthen it., and has to be a 2wd frame cause all the stock s10 suspension, you can use. you will want to weld crossbraces to the frame to stop flex. fix your floor and mount the body to a frame of somesort, your new frame ( original or s10 ) then brace the body so when you cut the top off, it dosen't fall in 2 peices, the floor and rockers are all that holds them togther as convertibles.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:30 PM
1955 Fam Sedan

Last photo:

frame/suspension

Thanks for the link- I'll check them out. I was thinking about that issue also. For a project like this, what would you think would be best to do? An air ride or regular suspension?

I haven't ever seen anyone with a 4dr convertable before and I have high hopes that I might be able to help pave the way for some other people who might be interested in doing the same thing to their baby. Sorry about all the questions- as I read back through them, they seem kind of repetitive.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

As for the caprice frame, I have seen people use them on variouse projects, it would fit under your car, you could buy the whole caprice/ impala from the 80's and get 1 with a 350 you would be set. do an air ride if you want to lower it way down, otherwise just use the stock stuff
Old 10-18-2005, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriveatincan
Thanks for the link- I'll check them out. I was thinking about that issue also. For a project like this, what would you think would be best to do? An air ride or regular suspension?

I haven't ever seen anyone with a 4dr convertable before and I have high hopes that I might be able to help pave the way for some other people who might be interested in doing the same thing to their baby. Sorry about all the questions- as I read back through them, they seem kind of repetitive.

Thanks
People do chop 4dr's into convertible's, but every time I have seen it done, there has been a little more sheet metal work and getting rid of the rear doors. You will have to modify your doors or get doors for a hardtop car if your car is not a hardtop. hardtop is where there is no center post or window frame.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:27 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

YIKES

should spend all that money on a better car to start with.....

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.