1956 chevy pickup, chassis swap ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014, 02:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1956 chevy pickup, chassis swap ?

I just got a 1956 chevy p.u. my boyfriend wants to do a chassis swap. to a 1987 chevy el camino is this possible and what will i need? first timer and new comer to all this. any advice would be appreciated. thanks Miss Jamie

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 04:14 PM

Last photo:

If you do a search for frame swap on this site you'll fins a ton of threads that don't recommend it.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:35 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956pu View Post
I just got a 1956 chevy p.u. my boyfriend wants to do a chassis swap. to a 1987 chevy el camino is this possible and what will i need? first timer and new comer to all this. any advice would be appreciated. thanks Miss Jamie
In my opinion, the only thing tougher to pull off successfully than a frame swap is a body sectioning job. I've done clip swaps and frame swaps, but never a sectioning job. I'm just trying to make the point that a frame swap is next to the toughest thing you can do to a vehicle. If I were you, I'd tell my boyfriend to whack up his own '56 Chevy and leave mine alone.

Any improvements you need or want to make to your pickup can be easily accomplished with the stock chassis in place. Everybody and his cousin makes parts to fit these trucks, including bolt-in or weld-in independent front suspension systems with rack and pinion steering and power disc brakes. 9" Ford differential housings can be had, narrowed for wider wheels and tires and with the spring pads already welded in place for a "bolt-in" fit on your Chevy.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
CraigK (02-04-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 10:01 AM

Thanks

Ok, i will let him know. So basically you are saying to keep it stock??
Old 02-03-2014, 10:33 AM

Last photo:

Stock frame, you can customize the body as you want.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Ok, i will let him know. So basically you are saying to keep it stock??
Did you really read my reply?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:44 AM

Last photo:

As tech said you can modify the existing chassis/suspension.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:53 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

like tech says, keep the stock frame and modify it.
my 58 is on a stock frame with a mustII ifs up front and an 86 trans am rearend mounted on stock springs.
it is my opinion that most frame swaps end up going to the scrap yard when the owner realizes how far over their head they are

here is a link to ogre's 58 truk build. also the most popular 55-59 chevy truck forum that i have found

Old 02-04-2014, 10:57 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,122 Times in 997 Posts
Here is a thread on a truck site that I started on this very subject. S10 or other frame "swaps", why do this? Pros-cons - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The whole frame "swap" thing is going a bit crazy for me. Is there a time to do it, heck yeah, but it's the first thing anyone thinks of these days. There are lots of options and lots of reasons to do it or not do it.

I see no reason in my world to even think about it, but that is simply my opinion and there are lots of them.

Brian
Old 02-04-2014, 11:39 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

martinsr stirring up dookie over there.
again, some of those builds start strong; i'm gonna do this and gonna do that, and then they just fade away when they realize it wasn't the 30/60 day project they had planned, after the next 3 years of weekends are shot
Old 02-04-2014, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

I didn't do it to ruffle feathers, I did it to hopefully educate the newbe. It's like this poster here, they are flying with an idea tossed out there all over "frame swap" like it's putting a SBC where the 235 was, crap, with the steering box in the say THAT'S hard enough, it's not an easy engine swap as engine swaps go.

But the frame, the FRAME that is a HUGE undertaking. And I just wanted to toss out there all the legal issues too, and the money "savings" we just don't see things as we should sometimes when it comes to money. I wanted a good discussion on the subject and I think I have gotten it.

Brian
Old 02-04-2014, 01:53 PM

thanks

c'mon boys, i need all the help i can get. i appreciate all the help and input. everyone has there own styles and ideas i guess i will have to find my own. i'm sure we will make tons of mistakes (hope not though)

NEWBEE
The Following User Says Thank You to 1956pu For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (02-05-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
c'mon boys, i need all the help i can get. i appreciate all the help and input. everyone has there own styles and ideas i guess i will have to find my own. i'm sure we will make tons of mistakes (hope not though)

NEWBEE
\

Go to the forum I posted the link to, there are a bunch of guys doing them there. Read that thread though, read what others say, there are VERY good reasons not to do it too.

Brian
Old 02-04-2014, 08:32 PM

Last journal entry: For a change of pace
Last photo:

Here is the best reason. I had friend did old truck, frame swap. Worked ok for him until he went to sell it. He had people lined up with bags of cash to buy that truck. As soon as they seen it was not an original frame they all ran away.
He was stuck with that truck forever trying to sell it. He did sell it but he took a beating on the price. No one wants a mucked with frame swap.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I moved this to basics. This is a basic question that has been asked a lot, most of these guys know it ain't easy. Tech has been into the drag racing as an inspector, Martin's been doing this type of thing for years, you really need to think these things out. Like how are you going to bolt up the front sheet metal, the body, the steering, linkage for gas, tranny and brakes? How are you going to make everything square so it doesn't look like a dog shot in the arse when it goes down the road? How far down on the frame is the body going to sit so the front end will match up and it doesn't look like someone just dropped this out of the sky? I've a friend that does the Mustang 2 applications, he's done about 40 of them. They're not easy. He can do one in about 3 days. He's also fixed a 55 Ford Pick up after someone hacked a front clip on it. Took him 2 weeks to make it right, using another clip. Width is also something a lot of guys forget about, you can narrow a rear end some what easily, but get the front end to fit under the fenders, uff da! Narrow the front frame, there goes your tracking geometry, motor mounting, steering, a major pain. Got a welder and the skills? You'll need them in every step.

Now, do me a favor. If you decide to do this, start a journal and show us how it will be done. I'm 61 years old, can you finish this in the next 10 years or so, I want to see it. I hate to be a party pooper but I also hate to see good iron go to waste. Good luck with your project.
CraigK (02-05-2014), techinspector1 (02-05-2014)

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.