Hot Rod Forum banner

1956 Ford pickup

10K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Eli 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me what the cheapest way to lower a 1956 ford pickup front and back. Thank you!

#2 ·
The cheapest way is to put the axles on top of the leaf springs. front and rear. And the front mounts for the rear leafs can be moved up for more drop.
You won't have a lot of suspension travel this way, unless you notch the frame, front and rear.

#5 ·
How much do you plan on dropping it?

If you stick with the I beam axle in front the best way would be to get a dropped axle. You could also have the eyes reversed on the springs to get a bit of drop.

On the rear if you want to go really low you would have to put the axle on top of the spring. Then you would need to C-notch the frame for clearance.

I've seen a few front axles put on top of the spring. It isn't hard to do but you could end up with the springs too low to the ground with low profile tires.

Low profile tires like 205-60-15 on the front and 245-60-15 on the back will bring it down a bit and get the stance right.

#6 ·
pasadenahotrod said:
Don't be a cheap john, save your money until you can do it right.
There is no hurry, the 56 is the best looking of all the F100s and everybody likes 'em no matter how they sit!
Don't do something that will get your truck featured in "poor worknanship" posting.
the guy wantted cheap so Itold him cheap my 1956 F-100 has a Valare front under it it also has had a Pacer, A Jag and a Mustang !! Its had 6 different motors Ive done 23 others But never got this one done so I aint the cheap one here you see I also told him dropped axle or IDF. so there

#8 ·
pugster said:
Can anyone tell me what the cheapest way to lower a 1956 ford pickup front and back. Thank you!
The cheapest way would be a trip to the dump. Pick up ten or twelve chunks of busted concrete and some loose wire. When you get home strap enough chunks under the hood to get the front down on the axle snubber and leave the rest in the bed. Hopefully you picked up enough to keep the rear axle on the snubbers, if not go get a few more.

Another CHEAP way is torch the springs until they sag till the axles set on the snubbers.

Another CHEAP was is get four of those real small spares from the pick-it-yourself yard. (I have seen Ricers do this one.)

On a serious note: ALL the posters suggestions above are good. You just need to decide how deep your pockets can let that 56 drop.

#9 ·
I used reversed eye springs on the front and lowering shackles on the back, 215-60 series tires on the front and 295-50 series tires on the back. The truck still rode just fine and I got about 6" drop in the front and 3 inch out back. Don't torch the springs or remove leaves, it only compromises the ride and may affect the safety.
Eli

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.