1956 Oldsmobile. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011, 09:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1956 Oldsmobile.

I purchased a 1956 oldsmobile back in 03-04 and have had it sitting in my barn for the last 6-7 years now. when I picked it up I was told it had a 455 olds engine in it and a subframe out of a 1977 vista crusier. The subframe has been grafter into the frame rails and they did a decent job the steering shaft seems to be angled to hi which I'll have to look for a after marker universal joint or drop the column down so it's not at such an awkward angle. But my biggest issue is the subframe. I've slowly starting to work on this car and been teetering back and forth what I should do to rebuild the brakes and front bushings not knowing what the subframe is truely out of. I don't want to buy all the parts to later find out it's not compatable. is there any marking on the subframe that would give me info as to what it's really out of? Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Mike Hateful

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 04:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hateful
I purchased a 1956 oldsmobile back in 03-04 and have had it sitting in my barn for the last 6-7 years now. when I picked it up I was told it had a 455 olds engine in it and a subframe out of a 1977 vista crusier. The subframe has been grafter into the frame rails and they did a decent job the steering shaft seems to be angled to hi which I'll have to look for a after marker universal joint or drop the column down so it's not at such an awkward angle. But my biggest issue is the subframe. I've slowly starting to work on this car and been teetering back and forth what I should do to rebuild the brakes and front bushings not knowing what the subframe is truely out of. I don't want to buy all the parts to later find out it's not compatable. is there any marking on the subframe that would give me info as to what it's really out of? Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Mike Hateful
Well, the 1977 Vista had a full frame, not a subframe, so either the builder cut off the front part of the 77 frame, or the info you got is incorrect.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:59 PM

Last photo:

yeah sorry for the lack of info.

Yeah they cut the frame off of whatever it was on and welded it into the old fame. I didn't mean to imply that it was an actual pre exisiting subframe.Basically they turned it into a subframe from whatever it was orginally in. I went and looked at it today and notices all of the steering componets are in the front of the cross member instead of behind it.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Well, front steer would be 1971-96 full size, 1970-up F-body, 1975-up X-body, and 1964-up A/G body. Are the rotors 5 x 4.75" or 5 x 5"?
Old 09-11-2011, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

Take pictures and post them, they will help ID it. You could also take one side apart and take it to a GOOD parts house.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:05 AM

Last photo:

Get on that sun up.

Tomarrow I'll post some pics of the sub frame and I'll also see what the lug patteren is. I was up at the car today and found a few things that worry me but the car had a 455 olds engine in it when i first picked it up. After getting it to run we found that one of the pistons and cracked and put holes in the block on the way out after taking the engine out of it we found the motor mounts barely on the gross member like litterally hanging on the rear of the cross member half way. The trans cross memeber was han made out of some steel and a small peice of plate welded to it for the trans pad. whats has me concerned is on the budget I'm in(fyi) not much I'm hoping I'll be able to down grade to the chevrolet 350 and 350 trans I have sitting around. Thans you all so much for you info and time, this is probably the most excited I've been in a while since I messed up my back last year.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:30 AM

Last photo:

some pics and more info sorry for the shakey hand

okay so I went up and got some pics today. I noticed the drivers side upper control arm has the numbers and letters 4 L3E sorry if some of the pics are grainy can't figure out why but if you all need more let me know I'll gladly go up and take some. thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SL380180.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	58339   Click image for larger version

Name:	steer.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	58340   Click image for larger version

Name:	crossmem1.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	58341   Click image for larger version

Name:	SL380169.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	58342  
Old 09-12-2011, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

oldsmobile more pics info edit.

okay so I went back and looked, the lug patteren is 5x5 center to center. The drivers side control are has an extra number on it 14 L3E And I doubt these pics will help much heres a few more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SL380174.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	58343  

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.