Hot Rod Forum banner

1956 Pontiac Starchief disc brake conversion

12K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  matt167 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 1956 Pontiac Starchief Conv. and want to do a front disc brake conversion. I checked all the sources I used when I did this on my 1956 Chev. But I can't seem to find one. Does anyone know of a conversion kit out there for this car. Thanks!

#5 ·
Thanks for the tip but they didn't have it either. I also tried Stainless Steele Brakes , Classic Performance Products, and Classic Tube ... all places that were able to help me with my 56 Chev. This seems to be a very specialized conversion.

#9 ·
Ummm... I could be wrong, but I don't think so... or perhaps Canadian-produced Pontiacs were different than US-produced?

I had a 1955 Pontiac Pathfinder Deluxe with a 261 inline 6 cylinder/Powerglide ... which doesn't seem to exist at Napaonline or Autozone's web catalogs.

My theory is that a 55/56/57 Pontiac WAS a 55/56/57 Chev with different sheet metal?

In fact, they used to hang 55 Chevy front-ends on 55 Pontiacs and call them "Cheviacs" in good old Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan in the mid-to-late 70's

Yeah ... I just did a search here at HR, and found a post that seems to support my theory ...
HR 55 Pontiac Thread

This car sure looks just like mine did, too, though. It just might be worth looking into.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.