Hot Rod Forum banner

1956ish 331 Hemi Industrial engine questions

7K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  496CHEVY3100 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, new member here!

My dad just recently purchased a 1956ish airplane tug for $500 because it had the 331 hemi it. Once we started ripping apart the body however, we found out it was an industrial engine. So naturally, we are wondering what, if any, differences there are between the industrial and the normal 331. Also what vehicles this engine would be a good use for. Basically it was a spur of the moment kind of thing and now we are at a loss as to what to do, haha.

Any help is much appreciated :thumbup:

#6 ·
air plane tugs are the planes used for towing gliders into the sky.
you probably have an old 331 hemi that was used for industrial pumps and generators etc.Its old,hard to find parts for it and makes less than 200 hp.It would be cool in a rat rod or bucket,but would beexpensive for poor to fair power.
What was your plan for the engine? does it run?

#7 ·
No, we have the actual tug. The one used on the ground to back planes up and maneuver them, not from a plane.
Edit: Yes, it does run, but barely. My dad said he thinks it's not getting fuel properly. Not sure though, we haven't had much time to mess with it.

This is what I am talking about, though this isn't exactly ours.

And here is the engine. Sorry it's kinda blurry.

#11 ·
Cam is a low lift short duration, dizzy is curved different for low speed operation. Flywheel may be much heavier also . Carb jetting and PV is also different.
Vinnie...Does this one also have a governor or not? (That little box with the rod and wires)

#15 ·
it is a hemi already,just put on the equipment you want(and can find)not sure what items need to be upgraded,more a Chris or other Mopar guy question.Re rev/speed limiter? not sure,I do know that air craft are not towed quickly.most have a hydraulic drive or special transmission.
Usually the steering system can turn like or close to like a fork lift so they dont travel fast

#16 ·
Go to Hot Heads Research and Racing ,they have about anything you will need to know or buy ,I purchaced a USED 2x4 intake for my 352 Desoto hemi.as they are different from Dodge Or Chysler some parts are interchangeable but not all.be sure to specify Chrysler when ordering parts...Hope this helps.:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.