1957 Pontiac Chieftain transmission questions - swap it out? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 04:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1957 Pontiac Chieftain transmission questions - swap it out?

i just braught home a 1957 pontiac chieftain 4 dr catalina in pretty decent shape. i baught the car from someone i knew back in the post highschool years(1995). he blew the transmition and took it apart in hopes of restoring it. well, that never happened, and i got a call he was getting married and needed some fast cash and i was told that he only wanted 400.00 for the car and how could i not be interested? OK , now i am pondering weather to forget about the pontiac motor and trans all together, or keep the motor and ditch the trans and get a adapter and use a turbo 350, which i have on the floor in the garage. (i forgot engine is a pontiac 287 and a hydromatic trans) or just use one of the many smallblocks i have kicking around and bolt up the turbo 350. keeping in mind that i will allow my wife to drive this car and it needs to be reliable. how i hate to get rid of a good running motor that will just bolt rite up and ran when removed. but an adapter plate with starter will cost me $800.00. to rebuild the older hydromatic will be at least $900.00 to $1000.00. a rebuild kit with hardparts is $450.00, and i wouldn't know where to start to rebuild it. about a thousand dollars to rebuild a smallblock and i have the turbo 350 ..........arrrrrrrrrrrr , what to do? are those old hydromatics junk? i rebuild the trans than the motor lets go? o-man my head is hurting! rebuild the smallblock chevy motor, open the turbo 350 and make sure it is ok and throw it in? ok i'm done

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 05:33 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I would use a sbc with the 350 turbo, mainly because you said this was going to be a driver.. parts are available anywhere.. and would be dependable
You could sell the 287 and hydromatic to someone, thats restoring a poncho for enough $ to pay for what you want to do to the poncho,,
and be on the road sooner,,
Those parts to rebuild the motor and hyd won't be cheap,,

Old 11-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Rat
I would use a sbc with the 350 turbo, mainly because you said this was going to be a driver.. parts are available anywhere.. and would be dependable

Now Bad Rat !!! I can't believe you said sbc.. Just Joking... I would agree 100% any day..
Old 11-08-2010, 06:16 PM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Now Bad Rat !!! I can't believe you said sbc.. Just Joking... I would agree 100% any day..

Did I say that??? OK lets go with a BBC Blown of course

Nice Firebird Krazyone.. I have a big ole boat they call a 69 Bonneville,, pass everything on the road except a gas station...
Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 PM

57 Pontiac engine would be a 347 CID. The auto trans is a dual coupling Hydramatic (not the best trans). Go to TransmissionAdapters.Com for an adapter to mate the 347 to a TH350/TH400, or even one of the auto overdrives. Or, drop in a 455 Pontiac motor and TH400 trans; this is a car to keep ALL Pontiac, especially since Pontiac is officially, no more. Butch/junior stocker.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:38 PM

Last photo:

Pontiac used the 347 in 57... They came with goodies like a forged crank.

I'd put a Pontiac 389/455 in it with either a Turbo 400 or 350 transmission.. That car will be a blast to drive with the brute torque of a Pontiac motor. You can still get any part you want at any part store for the 389/455 Pontiac engine..

But if your on a budget and already have the 350 Chevy, that would make the most sense..
Old 11-09-2010, 05:09 PM

Here you go, E-Bay item # 180583997417, a built 455 and TCI TH400. But seriously, time to start hitting the towing yard auctions. You may be able to pick up a complete car for the power train to swap in; usually around $50-$150 gets a complete running car around here, but they get you for towing it to your place or making keys (or you have to license it). Get, say a 70-80's Olds or Pont, and you're set, even a Chevrolet V-8 and trans combo. Just an idea. Butch/junior stocker.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:48 AM

Last photo:

i don't think it's a 347, i was told by the owner it was a 287 and it has either a 1, or a 2 barrel carb. not sure because as soon as i got it i threw it in my storage container.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.