1957 three speed overdrive transmission.. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 01:02 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

The OD will automatically come in (provided the handle is pushed in) when the vehicle reaches 28-32 mph (depending on make/model -- different governor settings). Just let off the gas to take pressure off the trans and it slips right in. Keep on the gas and it won't shift until you press in the clutch. Won't hurt if it shifts into OD in second gear, but most cars aren't geared to run over 30 in second normally. All OD equipped cars will have a very low rear axle gear -- 3.73-4.10 for the old cars. OD mainly gives a lower first gear, though the axle ratio will work out to be a little higher than a non-OD equipped car. The BW OD units are all 0.70:1 ratio.

NEVER try to pull the handle out while the car is in OD!! That can cause internal problems!! To lock out of OD you either slow below the cut in point where it will automatically drop out, or accelerate until the kick-down is engaged then pull the handle before letting of the gas. I've run one of these for a while in a couple cars, though I run an auto OD in my car now. They have to be wired correctly! I ran one with an EFI engine. I didn't think the computer would like the coil being grounded, so I ran a relay to the ignition module and had the kick-down cut power to the relay momentarily instead of grounding the coil. Worked like a charm!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 04:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

tranny

Well my buddy got the tranny home and the overdrive selinoid was smashed in shipping...As well as other things.. He is not 100% sure what all it is missing..Bummer Well now we have more to fix.. Does anyone know Who i may be able to send this to, to get rebuilt??? Any help would be appriciated...Thankyou Randy P.S. I will be going to Jefferys tomorrow I think I should have some new pictures to post.. Thankyou for your help Randy
Old 08-01-2006, 05:25 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

My Dad bought a new '55 Chevy with a 4.11 rear end and the 3 speed OD-I loved that car! It had a 265 (which was replaced in '63 with a 327 (but he kept the Tranny) and it hauled our Camper Trailer all over Colorado, up nasty Passes and did it well while getting gas mileage in the low 20's. That Transmission was a wonder for it's time-
Old 08-01-2006, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

Well I found a 57 cable for the dash and I just purchaced a replacment Governor that got smashed....It was the Governor no the selenoid..Thankyou Alen Colvin for the Chevrolet by the numbers books.. It has a whole schematic on the tranny and overdrive unit....Thats Awesome!! I think the Goverenor was the only thing that got damaged...We will see though... Hopefully We have all the right stuff now..I will get back to you guys on progress...Thankyou Randy PS still looking to get this rebuilt.. Anyone knows anybody that would help.. Thanks
Old 08-02-2006, 03:30 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Search the net for manual transmission rebuilders. There's a place in Greenville, SC, that rebuilds manual transmissions. They rebuilt my BW OD trans several years ago. I just can't recall the name and don't have accessto my records.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
Search the net for manual transmission rebuilders. There's a place in Greenville, SC, that rebuilds manual transmissions. They rebuilt my BW OD trans several years ago. I just can't recall the name and don't have accessto my records.
Well I bought a new governernor and an overdrive cable also.. The tranny I got was in suprizingly great shape..Now I am sending it to a local rebuilder to see what he can do with it.. Once we broke down the parts it was pretty simple.. Thankyou for all your guys help and I will try to post the project as it goes on.. Thankyou Randy
Old 01-19-2012, 06:41 PM

BW 3 speed with OD

Hi, I have a '55 BW 3 speed trans with od and i need some help finding where / how i can fabricate a shift linkage for a floor shifter. None of the shops in my city know how to do it. It needs to look like this:
/Users/JimShelton/Desktop/1957 overdrive tranny.jpg

The one i have does not have that linkage. Where can i find it? Thanks!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.