Hot Rod Forum banner

1958 biscayne

4K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  lilrobo 
#1 ·
well i drove the car today, and started ticking loud , i brought in the garage and adjusted the valves she quieten down nice , wait until i turned it off and guess what right back the ticking was there ,, i am ordering a set come mon , i think i have developed a knock now ,,( 1 thing after another ) could be a wrist pin or a rod ,, what would you guys do redo the motor or change it to a v8

thanks

#3 ·
seems like the knock is coming from the front end and bottom ,, i have a 235 cyl now i was told that to rebuild this 6 cyl would be more money , and it would better to but a motor and tranny from late model ,, i dont care i dont mine the 235 cyl as long as its right ,,you know i will check oil pressure cold and hot i did the other day and had 40 psi dont know if that was cold or hot , you know a small v8 would be nice with a over drive tranny lol

thanks

#6 ·
6 cyl noise

My old chevy had oil flow problems, the oil passage way up to the rockers would plug up , we used to pull the rockers, poke a wire thru, use an oil can to squirt in some solvent, blow air thru. If the prev owner did not change oil often the inside would get gunked up .
And a swap to a Small block would be easy., They have an X frame so I don't know about late model OD trans fit.

#7 ·
i took the total rocker assy apart and cleaned it ,i even clean the lifters too , i took them apart completely ,,i am getting oil to the rockers now , i see oil dripping from the small hole , i read the specs and the oil pressure is 35 psi,, not much, i did check it and had 40 psi i will check it tomm while hot and see what it is ,i just think the lifters are week they will pump up ,but lose it after sitting for a few min,, i adjusted them while th motor was running and got it sounding real good , but after sitting it came right back ,, i am doing research on what v8 is the best( easyest) to swap with, i will buy lifters for now but think about chaning this winter ,,,,,,

thanks for the info

#9 ·
Most likely the engine has worn bearings----oil pump will probably not help.

As for a v8 swap-----all you need to do is locate and install
the v8 frame mounts for the engine.

I have heard the 6cyl mounts will work, but they place the engine too high
under the hood------and will most likely affect the driveshaft angles.
(which on the 2-piece shaft angles are important)

Also, if you go to an auto overdrive----you may have to raise the
rear of the trans quite a bit to maintain proper front shaft angles.

I have a 454 and a TKO 5-spd in my 59, ----engine bolted right in to the
stock v-8 frame mounts, but the trans x-member needed to be modified.

After a few years and nearing 10,000 miles, I will have to go back and:
remove interior
cut floor tunnel
raise floor tunnel
weld raised tunnel in place
lift the rear of the trans up to get an angle closer to 2* (now 4-1/2*)

Since you have a 58-----may not have the floor issues with a larger trans
that I have with the 59, but the length of any trans you use will affect the driveshaft angle.
My TKO is about 8" longer than the stock 3-spd so I'm pretty sure any trans you wish to install will be fine.

HOWEVER

A larger driveshaft or larger u-joints can present issues when installing.
That big ol Ford drive yoke on the front of my shaft has to be wiggled
thru the openings in the frame tunnel-----and once it is thru, there is very little space to wiggle it up to install into the trans.

Parking brake linkage may have to be modified as well, to avoid interferance with a spinning u-joint.

#11 ·
Well now what do i do? I dont want to spend alot of money on this motor,i just wanted to get it running, until this winter and maybe change it to v8 , i was told it would be cheaper to swap to v8 rather than rebuild ths 6 cl ?. I dont know now
*Thanks for the replies

#12 ·
blocks , rotate

On some engines I used to put a piece of 2 X 4 between the mounts then have to use a wrench to rotate the crankshaft to wiggle the pan off, I don't know if that will work for your engine, some times I'v had to reach in with a wrench and drop the oil pump bolts and slip the pump- tube into the bottom of the pan. You might get more information on the chevy stovebolt forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.