1958 chevy car sheetmetal - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2003, 06:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1958 chevy car sheetmetal

Anyone know of sources for sheet metal panels. I'm under the impression this is not like the 55-57 car or truck craze where parts old and new are readily available.

I have a relative who's had a 58 chevy convertible in their yard for 15 years and inquired if I'd be interested. Just try'n to figure out what I'd be up against.

Thanks, Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2003, 04:17 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Slick...one thing you will be up against is a lot of rust but would be worth it if the car s mostly there. You will have to fab a lot of the sheet-metal. If the floorpan is good then that is a major plus. There are many companies out there that sells parts. Chevrolet Restoration World, Sinclair's, Harmon's, and numerous others that deal in used parts and parts cars. All you can do is get the car and sum up what it will take to fix it and go from there. One word of advice...It will cost a few, if not quite a few thousand to bring it back to shape. If you are not prepared to spend that kind of money then don't even attempt it. On my '62 I had to buy new floor-pans @ almost $400 for the 2 halves. Then I had to buy all the braces for underneath the pans at $30 - $60 apiece. That adds up to a few hundred. Then there are the parts that have to be manufactured from a sheet-metal place. Angle pieces bent up etc. This all adds up. Then any patch panels, etc. Nothing is cheap. The thing is will it be worth it when done? I'd say yes. If it is mostly there then save it from the scrap yard. And don't get in a hurry. Some if not most of these projects take a few years to complete if ever completed.

Kevin
Old 08-29-2003, 12:24 PM

Good advise Kevin...I also have a 55 truck that I haven't finished in
20 years..lol...but I've had it on the road the whole time..so ..ya..they can take some time..

I'll have to take a good look...hand made repair panels...man that's got to ad up if you can find someone in your area who's capable. Nothing I ever get involved with is for eventual sale..It's for the love of saving something...so unless it looks totally cooked underneath I'll likely get involved....

thanks for taking the time to comment..

appreciate it!

Slick

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.