1959 ford galaxie - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 04:14 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1959 ford galaxie

Hello Iím new here

I have worked my whole live with engines. They are just a little bigger than for cars. The last couple of years Iím working with generators up to 4 Mw
I just bought myself a 1959 ford galaxie that should have a 332 engine and a cruise o matic transmission.

I would like to put a newer engine and transmission in the 1959 ford. From a car build around 1990 to 2000. Then I can exchange also brakes and other usable parts.

I Iím thingking about to buy a 1993-1998 ford thunderbird or a 1990- 1998 cadillac and exchange the engine and transmission. Anny one any experience in this aria. Can I do than and what problems will I face ? Iím open for all suggestions. Especially for easy fits

If anyone is interested in the link the start of my project last week.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/m...6177502&type=3

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 05:15 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentenier View Post
Hello I’m new here

I have worked my whole live with engines. They are just a little bigger than for cars. The last couple of years I’m working with generators up to 4 Mw
I just bought myself a 1959 ford galaxie that should have a 332 engine and a cruise o matic transmission.

I would like to put a newer engine and transmission in the 1959 ford. From a car build around 1990 to 2000. Then I can exchange also brakes and other usable parts.

I I’m thingking about to buy a 1993-1998 ford thunderbird or a 1990- 1998 cadillac and exchange the engine and transmission. Anny one any experience in this aria. Can I do than and what problems will I face ? I’m open for all suggestions. Especially for easy fits

If anyone is interested in the link the start of my project last week.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/m...6177502&type=3
If your planning on using parts from a newer car like a Cadillac or a newer Ford, plan on using the engine and transmission and all the electronics for the engine and the transmission.

I would suggest a donor Ford to perhaps be a Fox Bodied Mustang, with a 5 liter (302 CID) or even the Ford 4.6 liter engine as there are many of those around and the Mustang is a rear wheel drive car which would more readily allow you to use both the transmission and engine in your 59 Ford..

If your planning on using a Cadillac, stay away from the 1990 to 91, they had a 4.9 liter engine and not a bunch of power. In 1992 Cadillac came out with the Northstar 32 valve, 4.6, liter engine which had a lot more power. Depending on the Model of 4.6 liter engine, you could have a factory HP rating of 300 HP plus. The Problem is that these engines where installed in front wheel drive vehicles and the transmission wouldn't work in your rear wheel drive application. There are however aftermarket parts available that would mate a 4.6 Northstar to a transmission of your choice.

I hope this helps.

Ray
Old 04-07-2013, 07:20 AM

Last photo:

Ray thankís for the info.

Thunderbirds are easy to come by here and they are cheap. They have a 4.6 liter engine I think that will be o.k. ( Iím going to see a few in the coming weeks ) There are also Lincolns from $ 500 to $2000 does a Lincoln engine with transmission fit ? I prefer to buy a car with a rear wheel drive I think thatís the best way to go.

I wonder how the new engine with transmission will fit on the driveschaft
Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Well I agree with you that your best bet is to stick with a rear wheel drive car...If you can buy a donor Lincoln with a 4.6 for $2,000 or less...that's pretty good...for $2,000 I'd expect the engine and transmission to be in good condition with low miles.

You will unfortunately need to fabricate and build all of your supporting mounts, engine and transmission. Also, when you remove the engine and transmission from what ever donor car you chose, make 100% sure that you mark, tag and bag all of the components, computers, modules, vacuum lines, what the vacuum lines hook up to (remove them and use them in your 59) everything as to where they go, and what wires they hook up to and even where they where mounted. If you don't, it will be a nest of snakes with all the wires and hoses and a big mess that just turned into a jigsaw puzzle. Now a days with digital cameras, buy yourself one with a chip that will hold a Bazillion pictures...(if you don't already have one) take pictures of what you take off, what it hooks up to and where it goes.

Your drive shaft I am sure is going to need to be lengthened...I'm sure that there are machine shop on your side of the Atlantic that could handle it for you.

It might be a good idea to check your rear differential...Ford has been known to make some of the strongest rear ends ever built and you may want to use that rear instead of the one from your donor car.

Ray
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 AM

If you have the original engine?Why not rebuild it bone stock,add an electronic ignition? If you want a little modern,add a TBI from an after market supplier?The original engine blue printed and updated will get you where you need to go.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I just looked at your facebook page, the car looks like it's in great shape and I thought you didn't have any drive line in it because of the way you worded the Original Post..."I just bought myself a 1959 ford galaxie that should have a 332 engine and a cruise o matic transmission." and I agree with Vinnie, is there any reason you don't want to do up the the 332...if it's more power you want and you want to save the 332 because of numbers matching reasons, why not find an old 390 or 428 and build it to whatever power you want...If I'm right, they're the same block and you wouldn't need to fab any mounts for the engine...I can't really tell if you have transmission but I will assume you have because the drive shaft is still in and with the transmission rebuilt, no mount modification at all...just bolt it back in.

Ray
Old 04-07-2013, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

I havenít made up my mind about what Iím going to do with the engine and the transmission. Iím still wondering what is the best way to go. I do not really need the extra power of a new engine just the reliability. If I may believe the vin tag on the car then the engine is a 332. I do not know for shore that it is still the original engine. Somebody did some rebuilding When I bought the car the head gaskets were new and there was a new water pump in the trunk. The rockers and the valve covers were also in the trunk with the carburetor. The engine had never run sins they started something until I put everything together again.

I just put everything together to get a registration. All the cylinders have good compression except number 8 I think the piston rings are the problem. I have no idea what they have done with the engine but it runs good. Iím planning to take the heads off and sea inside. But all in good time.

Itís the same with the brakes. They are a bit rusty but everything inside is new and never been used.
I was planning to put disk brakes on the car. But it is a waist to throw the good parts away. Iím stils in doubt

First everything will be taken apart and the chassis will be sandblasted, zinc plated , painted and put back together again. Meanwhile Iíll be gathering information on how to proceed.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:49 AM

sounds like fun,no wrong answers or ideas so far.Make it look nice first and of course reliable,then drive it.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Very true, no wrong answers or ideas so far and to to add to that...the car is rare enough and in nice enough condition that whatever engine/transmission combination you do put in it, it may be a good idea to save all of the old or original parts that you replace with newer ones in case some day you want to bring it back to original. They don't 1959 Ford Retractable Hardtop's anymore.

Ray
Old 04-07-2013, 04:45 PM

Last photo:

59 galaxey

put a 390 in ,find a doner car you can get a later version with a c6 trans and a 390 or 428,your trans if good willbolt up no problem,use the59 valve covers no will know the diference. stay away from 360 pickup engines ,they ar gas guslers(low comp. for ind use.
The Following User Says Thank You to cliff tate For This Useful Post:
rentenier (04-08-2013)
Old 04-07-2013, 05:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

The '94 -'97 T Bird 4.6 engine is dead on reliable with a lean towards the '97 where the torque converter had been fixed to stop the shudder. In the very areodynamic T-Bird, you could expect to see 21 town 27 highway gas mileage - one heluva lot better then the gas guzzling carburated with distributor 332-428 FE series engines(I had more then my share of them). The existing '59 Galaxie 9 inch differential is more then adequate vs the T-birds difficult to transplant and very wide independent rear suspension. Getting into brakes - I would probably opt for an after market set up for the front unless you really like fabricating plus rebuild and retain the drum brakes on the rear or consider a Wilwood or similar conversion - and that's not even straight foreward on '57-'59s.

I have had both a '94 and a '97 Bird (and that one is still being driven by the guy I sold it to 10 years ago). Both were great cars with a heavy lean to the '97

It's been a while since I did any exporting to the Netherlands, but don't recall really strong duties
Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,026 Times in 858 Posts
The brakes were horrible in '59. If I remember correctly, they were undersized for the weight of the car and would crystallize the linings in short order. You might also take a look at the '93-'97 Lincoln Mark 8 platform as a donor. Use everything out of it, including the wiring and computer, front suspension and brakes, rear suspension and brakes. If I were doing it, I'd end up with a car that was '59 sheetmetal with all the mechanicals and electricals being from the donor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (04-08-2013), rentenier (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 02:15 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
The brakes were horrible in '59. If I remember correctly, they were undersized for the weight of the car and would crystallize the linings in short order. You might also take a look at the '93-'97 Lincoln Mark 8 platform as a donor. Use everything out of it, including the wiring and computer, front suspension and brakes, rear suspension and brakes. If I were doing it, I'd end up with a car that was '59 sheetmetal with all the mechanicals and electricals being from the donor.
Thanks Richard for the information in this post and all of the other posts you've made. I can see that in many posts you take a lot of time and energy to give out proper and accurate information and I appreciate all the effort. I've learned a lot reading your posts over the last 6 months and I thank you. The wisdom you share is exactly why I joined this Forum.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
rentenier (04-08-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 06:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
The '94 -'97 T Bird 4.6 engine is dead on reliable with a lean towards the '97 where the torque converter had been fixed to stop the shudder. In the very areodynamic T-Bird, you could expect to see 21 town 27 highway gas mileage - one heluva lot better then the gas guzzling carburated with distributor 332-428 FE series engines(I had more then my share of them). The existing '59 Galaxie 9 inch differential is more then adequate vs the T-birds difficult to transplant and very wide independent rear suspension. Getting into brakes - I would probably opt for an after market set up for the front unless you really like fabricating plus rebuild and retain the drum brakes on the rear or consider a Wilwood or similar conversion - and that's not even straight foreward on '57-'59s.

I have had both a '94 and a '97 Bird (and that one is still being driven by the guy I sold it to 10 years ago). Both were great cars with a heavy lean to the '97

It's been a while since I did any exporting to the Netherlands, but don't recall really strong duties

I really appreciated the info. Iím still leaning in the direction of a Tíbird there are a lot out here. Nobody wanted them anymore because they are old and the road tax is high ( around $120 a month)
There arenít that many Lincolns and they are more expensive but Iím going to look around anyway.

There is no road tax for cars older than 25 years so when they are past there 25 birthday they get more expensive again.

Considering the brakes I will keep all options open. Maybe itís not a bad idea to start with disk brakes in de frond first.

Import duties are 21% over cost, shipping and handling fee. From outside Europe

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.