Hot Rod Forum banner

1960 c-10 with 235 6cyl, trans swap to automatic?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SSedan64 
#1 ·
trans swap

I have a 1960 c-10 with a 235 6Cly and 4sp granny. I want to swap the trans to an automatic. any advice? also.what kind of rear end could I use? I would appreciate any advice.

#4 ·
I think a T5 or a OD 3spd would be more fun; but a 200-4r or 700r4 is certainly easy to do with the proper axle conversion

I have a customer with a similar truck, he went with a 2.98 1st Muncie and a set of 3.31 in a Ford axle (either a 9" or an 8.8 I forget which)

Be careful with adapters, do your research as some seem to be more accurate and easier to install than others

#5 ·
Without an expensive adapter, there is NO auto trans that will just bolt up to the old stovebolt six; you're stuck with either the cast iron Powerglide, or the cast iron, dual range, 4-speed Hydramatic, AKA Hydro. Go to a towing yard auction, and buy a cheap, but good running, Chevrolet with V-8 and auto trans. Then scrap out what's left, along with your old engine-trans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.