1960 chevy power brakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 10:10 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

1960 chevy power brakes

hay guys how can i convert a 60 biscayne to power drum brakes? i was informed that adding a power booster and a new master cyl. would do it?
any and all help will be appricated. thanks, roger

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1951flames1
hay guys how can i convert a 60 biscayne to power drum brakes? i was informed that adding a power booster and a new master cyl. would do it?
any and all help will be appricated. thanks, roger

Sure, the stuff at the wheels is the same.
Consider doing later model disc brakes at the same time. I bet the price from the salvage yard will not be much more than rebuilding the stock drum brakes.

I think a lot of mid 70s stuff is a bolt on. It has been done lots of time on the 60, try google.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

1960 power brakes

thanks. dont realy wanna scrounge for parts. im in michigan. driving time is limited. but was considering master power brakes disc kit. cpp has one also for about 800.00. susposto be a bolt in? anyn way thanks. roger
Old 07-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

I have the CPP set-up on my 59---4-wheel disc too
The booster and master are pretty easy to install-If you have plans for a big block in the future you need a 7" booster---otherwise an 8" or 12" booster will be okay--With their kit I am pretty sure that you will have to upgrade to a dual braking system ( front-rear). Good idea to do that anyway for safety purposes.
800.00 seems high for just the booster and master--last time I looked it was around 279. Is your quote for a disc brake conversion?
On my car I used the dropped spindles and installation was a breeze, I only had problems with the rear discs, but I got 'em workin' now.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

60 brakes

the 800.00(ball park price) was for the front discs using stock spindels with a prop. valve dule master cyl and booster hoses and all the junk. probley will do a bb befor its all said and done. hows your rear holding out? i just got into the x frame cars and am trying to find out what i can. i wanna a posi new axels and a new shaft bearing im running a decient 350 with a four speed now and still have the stock 6 stick rear, 355 gears i think?
Old 07-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

I currently have less than 400 miles on mine--Just registered it in June-
Since I did a body off build-and the ElCamino had the engine/trans and bumpers all welded in place--not to mention the creative welding done for the rear end upper control arm mount--I opted to use the frame from a 59 BelAir. That was a six and a pg car--went ahead and used that rear end as well--I think I have 3:36 gears, But I'm not too concerned about the rear as I have 3 more of them in my back yard. I also have a Tremec TKO 5-spd that has a first gear so low it almost like the low gear in the old pick-ups. I do have every intention of locating a posi unit and probably a 3:08 gearset. Don't really matter what gears I use, cant get traction anyway (454 HO GenVI crate motor )
Be sure to get the brake lines as well--you need them, at least the front lines.

I found that I could not use the mechanical clutch linkage with the Big Block--Had to go to a hydraulic set-up. There is no room. And another note would be to keep Sanderson Headers in mind. The cast iron block huggers were the only thing I could find that would work. On a markIV block you will have no problems with fit. On a GenVI you will have some block grinding to do if Sanderson has not modified their castings. I am not sure about the GenV motor. I have pics of some clearance Issues on this swap. But, A BBC looks real cool when you open the hood on these cars.
My ride vvvvvvvvv
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	July 1, 06-2ce.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	13100  
Old 07-02-2006, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

re

great lookin camino!!! i'de like to see more pics. i know these botes will look sweet with big blocks. i think mine will have to wait for awhile. ive got a 454 in my camaro bracket car. if i cant get it into the 9's on the hose this year i'll put it in the biscayne next year. i seen a posi on ebay, a whole third member, ad# 200003543472 these go for a good sum.
sounds like you went through some major work on your ride! i bought mine prety much the way it is. cleaned under the hood some paint and bling.
like i'm 56 years old, dont realy enjoy crawling around under cars quite as much as i used to.
if you have some more pics of your ride and or want to see mine. send em to crazyroger1@hotmail.com. i dont know how to include pics on this site and some of the pics are too big and the wrong type.
i do have some pics on this site. i added some yesterday. some where in a gallery. computers arnt realy my thing.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.