1960 Rambler dual carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 11:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

1960 Rambler dual carb

I want to put a stock dual carb aluminum head from a Nash on my 195.7cu Rambler motor in my 2 dr. wagon. Any special advice? Do I need special head gaskets as the dual carb head is aluminum? I'm also looking for original photos of this set up in a 1955 Nash so I can see how the linkage is set up.
Or, should I just do an engine swap w/ a SBF 260? I appreciate any advice or comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I am not certain but if you post over at the AMC forum you will certainly get your answer. http://theamcforum.com/forum/forums.html There is a guy named "Farna" on there as well as here but he visits there more, he will have your answer I can bet on it.

Brian
Old 09-18-2011, 06:35 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Nothing special is required to put the AL head on, just the normal head gasket. You're only going to pick up maybe 10 hp, so it's not going to make a whole lot of difference driving. You might want to call Isky or one of the older cam grinders and ask about getting a little more aggressive profile. You'd have to send them a good used cam though. They did that for my old 196 OHV. If they can increase lift 0.10" and duration about 20į you'll notice a bit more power in mid range. Not much will pep it up on the bottom end -- it's just a long stroke six that takes a few seconds to build up revs.

If you're looking for a more fun to drive car and/or just want more power you might be happier with an engine swap. I can tell you that the difference between the 90 hp L-head and the 125 hp OHV 195.6 is VERY noticeable. You might even be satisfied with that, but the 196 OHV has some maintenance issues and parts are expensive and hard to find. You can find anything for it, but if a water pump goes out on a long trip you'll be overnighting a water pump from somewhere. If it goes out on Friday night you'll be stuck until Tuesday even then (call Monday morning...).

There are a couple engines that easily swap into that chassis. You will need the transmission with the engine no matter what (unless you do the 196 OHV swap). The Ford 200 or 250 six is a popular swap. The 200 has about the same power as the 196 OHV but parts are much cheaper and easier to find. The 250 would be the one to get if you have to buy an engine -- a bit more power in the same size package. The second most likely candidate is the 2.3 or 2.5 EFI engine from a 90s Ranger. It has to be the one with the intake that curves over the valve cover. The Olds Quad 4 has been swapped in, but requires an expensive bell housing or trans adapter.

The engine bay is narrow on those cars. To swap in a V-8 (the SBF is a good candidate as it's a couple inches narrower than the SBC and other SBs) you have to cut the "humps" above the upper front suspension arm mounting points off. Easy enough to do, and they aren't structural. They were part of the 50-52 Nash Rambler suspension design. When AMC reintroduced the 55 Nash Rambler as the Rambler American they didn't make new inner wheel well panels -- the same were used 50-55 and 58-63. It's still a tight fit for a V-8.

One of the narrow V-6s seems like a natural fit, but the accessories stick out way far on each side. A few hundred in custom "hot rod" brackets will fix it though. Same with modern fours. Most in rear drive vehicles have intakes that stick way out to one side (the Ranger motor being an exception). You could use a front drive type engine as they are usually compact in the intake area, but most of those don't have rear drive trannys that easily bolt up (the GMs do though), and you would have to fab mounting brackets (no big deal, you'll need to do that anyway).

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.